Fans at top speed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The Unseen, Sep 20, 2013.

1. The Unseen, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013

The Unseen macrumors member

The Unseen

Hi all,
    after reapplying thermal paste using Artic MX-4 in my Late 2011 MBP 15'', I have excellent results specially under heavy load tasks, such as CAD or gaming (All under Mac OSX).

This is a screenshot of temperatures after 1 hour of gameplay with F1 2012 on an external display (the internal display is off, as I use the MBP in clamshell mode with open lid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3CCAanNhiA )

[​IMG]

The problem is that even if the temperatures are good, I have the fans spinning all the time at max RPM.
    Do you think that is a bad thing to left the fans for 1-2 hours at top speed?

2. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

I guess you may have a failed temperature sensor if the fan keeps going on high rpm but temps are normal. Do a hardware test just to verify if there is any issue as such.

3. The Unseen, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013

The Unseen thread starter macrumors member

The Unseen

Thank you for the reply.
    I've done the AHT after your suggestion, but all is right. Anyway, in all the other situations the MBP fans works correctly (they gain speed not very often) , and also when I quit the game, the fans spin at 2000 rpm after 2minutes.

4. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

maybe you can try reapplying paste, if not it seems fine and i doubt the fan will give up soon by spinning at high rpms.

5. The Unseen thread starter macrumors member

The Unseen

Yesterday I tried to place a fan under my DIY aluminum support and the situation is much improved: in 2 hours of play, the fans never arrived at 6200 rpm, because the temperature were even lower.
    Since the external fan is effective but too noisy, I will try with a Peltier cell (I will receive next Tuesday).
    It seems to me that the way of operation of the fans is as follows: when they arrive at the maximum RPM due to temperature, they keep it until the temperature drops down to 55-50 degrees Celsius. So if during the game the temperature remains around 70 degrees (which is already very good) the speed of the fans does not drop even though it might do so.
    I think if I keep the fans too often and for too long at full throttle, they could break down sooner than with normal use. Obviously I can not say for sure, it may not happen anything, but definitely not let them get too often at the maximum can not hurt.