fans constantly running since Lion upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by superspud, Jul 22, 2011.

1. superspud macrumors regular

Ive had Lion for the last two days and while there are a lot of things I like, this one thing is really bothering me.

My Macbook (white) has its fans running constantly and is heating up a LOT more than it used to.

When I say constantly running and getting warm, i mean, always...

right now I only have Safari running to make this thread and my fans are on full blast and the bottom of my macbook is pretty hot.

With snow leopard, this would only happen when watching youtube videos or other media.

what gives?

2. Inopia-Vi macrumors regular

3. Bluehinder macrumors member

4. superspud thread starter macrumors regular

thanks I will certainly try that.

opening up my "activity monitor" to see what all is running, there is a process called DashboardClient that is constantly taking up at the very lowest 84% of my CPU%

most of the time, it runs at 97-99%

is this normal?!?! what is dashboard client???

5. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

dashboard client should not be using 84% of your cpu. if you look at some applications like firefox and safari some have like 25 different threads running and its usage is less then 5%. it sounds like the bug parallels was causing with the dockbar using 99% cpu. only its something else this time. i wonder if you have parallels. there is an update for it for lion.

6. superspud thread starter macrumors regular

no parallels, just a regular old white macbook running lion...

fans will NOT shut off and my computer is just sitting here with nothing open or running :(

7. superspud thread starter macrumors regular

well i just force quit dashboard client in activity monitor and within a minute my fans stopped and my computer is cooler.

what is dashboard client? and why was it running so much?

8. beneboi macrumors newbie

Hi all
    I have a black macbook 2ghz with 2 gb ram and I am experiencing the same problem with lion, only it is not the dashboard client which is making it rev up. for me it is "launchd " and it is a root activity causing the cpu to use around 45% and having the fans constantly going and getting quite warm.

When I quit it form the activity monitor the computer restarted....

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be great!

I have reset PRAM and SMC neither seem to have done anything.

9. mikegeordie macrumors newbie

Fans running way too much on Macbook

Same problem here, only been happening since Lion upgrade. Checked Activity Monitor, no Desktop client running, and no activity above 10%. Will try the fix's recommended, but unusual that it happens after Lion instal.

10. askabob91, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011

askabob91 macrumors member

Hi all-
    Running 2.4Hz White macbook with 4GB ram. My computer was very fast under SL but is very choppy under Lion.

"Safari Web Content" goes up to around 80% although I only have a few tabs open and SystemUIServer also goes up to 30 or 40%. This makes my fans run a lot and my computer heat up and lag. Can anyone help me?

ta

11. asauter3 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have had some success.

Before I ran the SMC reset I could not get the fan to stop. The first thing I tried was exiting each app I had running to see if one of them was causing it (even though in Activity monitor there was no noticeable CPU hogs). Nothing stopped the fan.

However, after the SMC reset I did the same thing and noticed a couple of apps caused the fan to start if they are running. I am now only running Apple apps and the fan has not started (My 6 month old Macbook Air has been running now for an hour since the SMC reset). I have running; Safari with 10 tabs, iCal, Mail, Skype, iTunes,

I believe the problem is with SOME non Apple apps (just realised Skype is running) that, I'm guessing, need some adjustments for Lion. As soon as I start Daylite which is a Beta version for Lion the fan starts.

Hope that helps.