Fans, fans, fans

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MTGrizzly, Jan 29, 2012.

1. MTGrizzly macrumors newbie

On my Early 2011 MacBook Pro (13.3" i5), fan speeds sped up to 6100RPM and stayed there.

The temps where within normal limits. With fans running this fast, a full charge on the battery lasted about 2 hours.

I sent it to Apple. They replaced the logic board and the heat sink.

Now, the fan speeds only go up to approx. 4100 RPM and stay there.

The CPU temp is around 76-77C

All 3 Base temps are running at 31C

The heat sink is 53C

The memory module is around 50C

The fan running does not change any of the temps.

Needless to say, this reduces the life of a battery charge, significantly. Maybe I get three hours out of a charge...

Anyone got any ideas?????

At least it is slightly less noisy at 4100 than at 6100

2. simsaladimbamba

3. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Your fans running fast are indicating your Mac is probably running an intensive CPU process and producing lots of heat as a result. Open up the "Activity Monitor" organize the list by CPU % and tell us what processes have the highest number.

The fans themselves use very little power contrast to the other components of your Mac thus the "high" speed they are running at are likely not the rot cause of your shorter battery life.

4. iforbes macrumors 6502

Don't forget to change "My Processes" to "All Processes" to get a complete picture in Activity Monitor.

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I would just bring it back to Apple. If they can't fix it three times you should be in for a replacement machine (i.e. a new one!).

6. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

Are these temps at idle or under load (flash video for example)? Also, what is your room temperature?

I have never seen a Mac idle that high without the room being exceedingly warm or airflow blocked or something similar.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The fact that the OP had the logic board and heat sink replaced suggests there may be something faulty with the replacement job. I'd send it back to Apple.