Fans noises on IMac mid 2011 version

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bloomdido, Oct 20, 2012.

1. bloomdido macrumors newbie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heODaDzleJ0

Up obove is the youtube video where you can hear the sound I'm dealing with
    for the past 5 months.I have AppleCare warranty for three years on this IMac.I took it to the Apple store,the techs cleaned the cooling fans and gave back to me 2 days later telling me the problem was solved.I went home plugged the IMac but after 5 minutes the fan noise came back.Anybody encounter the same problem?it seem like Apple doesn't want to fix the problem because their diagnostics says the the IMac fans are fully working with no problems,so I would have to listen to these noises simply because,as they say,there's nothing wrong with the IMac.I also downloaded smc fancontrol app,speed up the fans,but the noises are still there but less loud.But why should I keep the fans on high even in winter time just because Apple does not want to replace the fan or fans that are making noises.

2. alhumphrey macrumors member

That sounds like a lose fan bearing. You are well within your rights to keep taking the mac back to apple if you ar not happy with the job they did.

Also I would be very suprised if the did not replace the fans if you asked them to. I'm guessing there would be a set process to the repaire. Ie first time you take it in clean the fans out, second time replace fans.

I doubt they didn't replace the fans because they don't want to just why replace the fans before trying them after they are cleaned out.

3. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Take it back to the "genius". Be persistent. Don't be obnoxious, no matter how much you want to be. They'll ultimately fix it. If you're a long-time mac user, it helps to tell them how out of character this is for Apple. If you are new mac user, tell them you're a little frustrated because you went to Apple for their vaunted quality. Pain while they deal with it, but they'll get it right eventually. ;)