Fans not spinning after smcfancontrol usage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by flclkun, Apr 20, 2013.

1. flclkun macrumors newbie

So i've been doing some testing with SMCfan control and have noticed some issue and wanted to find out if other users are having the same problem.

I've noticed that if i quit out of smc and start playing starcraft or watching a stream the OSX will not "take over" and the fans will not kick up as the cpu starts to heat up. After noticing that my laptop was getting really hot i started up smc to see that the cpu was at 96C.

Even after deleting smc and a reboot the fans will not kick back up. I also noticed that after reinstalling smc the fan profile settings that i made returned. So im skeptical on if everything related to smc was deleted.

so here are my questions:

have others have issues with this?

what is the proper way to remove something like smc? (im new to osx) I know all you have to do is just move the program to the trash to uninstall a program. but i cant shake the feeling that remnants of programs still exist.

My most important question is, does anyone know the temp-to-fan rpm as the laptop heats up? i.e when the temp is 50c what is the fan rpm

thanks in advanced

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Have you tried smc reset?
    Also, my fan is around 1999 to 2001 rpm at 55C.

3. flclkun thread starter macrumors newbie

can you elaborate on the reset?

nvm i think i know what you mean. google was my friend.... this time

4. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

5. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

What is the system spec? SMC Fan Control is just an app, so once removed all settings revert to default. If you want a more intelligent solution to keeping your Mac cooler try UltraFan developed by one of our own members, once again it`s just an app and has no lasting effect.

I have used SMC FC for years across multiple Mac`s with no issue, UltraFan is my preference now as i want to control temperature, not solely fan RPM`s...

6. flclkun thread starter macrumors newbie

rMBP 2.7/16/512

7. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

@50C less than 2200RPM, Fans on the Retina don't spool up hard until past 90C, I've had my own 2.3 Retina up to 106C, with UltraFan it struggles to get past 85C even when playing The Witcher 2, which is one of the most graphically challenging games out on OS X.

What I find with the i7 Quad Core portables is once they are thermally saturated the cooling system has a hard time keeping up. Retina is a lot better, at least for me as my own 2.3 does not throttle, my Late 2011 15" MBP does. Apple`s algorithm is focused on a quiet user experience at the cost of a hot machine. By the time the fans do spool up a lot of thermal energy has already built up, saturating the hardware & case. UltraFan allows you to reduce the thresholds and is more aggressive. I have my Retina set to 66C and I rarely hear the fans unless pushing the system. Equally UltraFan will under moderate loads will raise fan RPM`s, where Apple`s own algorithm will leave them on the default sub 2200RPM, so it`s hardly surprising people complain about the heat...

Good example is the Late 2011 2.4 i7 i am using right now is at 63C with fans running at 3440 RPM under UltraFan`s control, target temp 66C. after 15 minutes under Apple`s cooling algorithm temp is 79C fans at 2600 RPM, and the system is noticeably hotter to the touch. Reapplying UltraFan the app will rapidly increase fan RPM`s, reduce the temp to the predetermined threshold, the app will then reduce fan RPM`s to the minimum needed to maintain the threshold. Net result a significantly cooler Mac portable, with negligible noise intrusion :)