Fans on Macbook pro have never turned on....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by abooch1, Apr 3, 2008.

1. abooch1 macrumors regular

I have had my new Pro for about 2 months and my fans have never turned on..anyway I can test them and get them to turn on to make sure they work haha thanks...

2. Deadaim357 macrumors member

Deadaim357

Hey man. Download smcFanControl. It it will let you set your fan speeds. If your fans don't work I'm surprised your MBP has survived 2 months. I'm pretty sure they do its just you haven't gotten your temps high enough for them to kick in. Mine don't rise until I hit 165F so.

anyway you can download it here

3. rolex54 macrumors 6502

yes there is somthing you can do
    open terminal
    type yes >/dev/null &
    press return
    type it again
    press return
    now go check activity monitor and make sure the CPU is maxed out on both cores
    the fans should kick in after a short while
    if they dont kick in after 8-10 minutes than your fans dont work

4. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

5. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

simpler test

apple.com/trailers/

run enough high def traliers that they start to skip, mute the sound. after about 30 seconds you'll hear the fans... or smell burning.

have you ever had a mac before? if not, i understand. it takes a while to get used to the higher degree of engineering.

6. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

That just made me really think about the whole MBP vs MB debate I have been thinking about. I'm getting the MBP for that higher degree of engineering! :cool:

7. abooch1 thread starter macrumors regular

my sister has a newer macbook and i always hear the fans...

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

That's because the MacBook's fan is more of a external unit that hovers over the processor - exactly like this:

[​IMG]

The fans in the MacBookPro are encased as part of the heat pipe that's under the logicboard.. therefore sound and vibrations would have to travel further - trust me, it's for the best! ;)

And if anyone likes to see more.. go here

9. iTim314 macrumors 6502

I assure you, your fans are running. When I first got my MacBook Pro, I thought by default the fans didn't run unless they were needed. I was surprised when I download the iStat Pro widget and found that they ran at a constant 2000rpm minumum.

They're extremely quiet. Don't fret; just thank :apple: for a quiet computer. :)

10. hitnrun7 Guest

i realize this was an old thread, but at least i used the search tool...

Anyway, i too thought that my fans did not kick in so i tried the open as many HD trailers as possible and wait. Except i did it with a twist, opening every app in my dock at the same time (majority of Adobe CS3, and a few other less intensive apps). It turns out that the new Penryns kick in at around 80C

11. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

80C? I feel like it should be shutting down at that temp =x

12. hitnrun7 Guest

join the club...

13. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

14. sdsviet macrumors regular

i don tknow about you guys but i've had a first gen mbp from my friend and neither fans were turned on for the first month i was using it. i had istatpro and smcfancontrol and both showed 000rpm. i tried listening to them and heard nothing. it was running ridiculous hot where it will burn my legs if i had a movie running. i finally opened it up when my 320gb hdd came in. i had the top opened and turned on the mbp and neither one of them was running at all. i ripped open the whole laptop and checked on the whole thermal grease issue and which it did so i cleaned it all up and reapplied new grease. when i put it back together somehow my right fan started working and i can definitely hear it. my left one is still not running at the moment. so to all you guys saying the laptop wont work without fans running, that might not be true since mine went at least a month without them running. who knows how long they werent working since i got it from my friend.