Fans on rMBP don't increase in speed by themselves. Need your help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dragonjinse, Aug 8, 2013.

1. dragonjinse macrumors 6502

Hi Guys,

I've had my MBP Retina for about 3 weeks now,

so I quickly discovered that the fans do not initiate/heat sensors don't function or something like that?
    I'm using SMC fan control to set a fan control on OSX,
    Somehow my fans no longer increase in speed by themselves. The temp was around 70-80C when I was watching video (Flash), but the fans still ran in the minimum rate (around 200rpm).
    It's like now since I was forced to use SMC fan control to control fans during otherwise the fans just don't get faster and the laptop gets hot.

Can anyone shed some light on this matter? Is it normal?
    What's the regular fans speed?

Thanks

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

3. dragonjinse thread starter macrumors 6502

How to do it? I'm a newbie for mac

4. B..., Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014

B... macrumors 68000

B...

5. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

That sounds normal to me. I just got my retina MBP and the fans don't seem to spin up until the 80-90C range. I just figured that's how it normally is, especially since there's a number of people in other forums that express the same concerns. It only ever gets that high when playing games anyway, so the fans would need to spin up regardless. I could be wrong in my assumptions that it's designed to get that high before the fans turn on, and if so then please someone correct me.

6. dragonjinse thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you

----------

I hope you're right! I'm concerned about it.. I came from the Dell's user.
    My laptop never got this high temp while I was using it. The fans were always on (with noises). I didn't mind it at all.

However, for the rmbp, it gets very hot sometimes! I just wanna make sure if this is normal or not.

7. Doward macrumors 6502a

The fans won't begin to 'seriously' ramp up until you approach 95C. This is normal.

Your CPU temps should come down to around 90C after that point.

If your CPU temps stabilize to 95C or higher, you have thermal issues.

8. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Fans wont ramp up until CPU temperature passes 90C on a Retina, Mac`s also use multiple sensors to derive system temperatures, and function very differently to a PC portable computer.

9. wabbit42 macrumors regular

Just install SMCFanControl if you are concerned. I normally use it to put the fans up when gaming or for heavy flash usage.

10. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Try UltraFan it`s a lot smarter and controls temperature not just fan rpm`s

11. dragonjinse thread starter macrumors 6502

I already downloaded SMCFanControl.
    What surprised me is, after I turned off and turned on again the SMCFanControl started working normally again.
    It showed that the fans speeds increased..

Thanks for the advices

12. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

That is how all portable computers function. When have you last used a windows notebook.
    The only really important sensors are the one in the cpu and gpu because those heat up incredibly fast and all external sensors will get the news way way too late. Samsung, Asus and all computers all basically run the same high cpu temps. It is mostly on older hardware that the cpus weren't supposed to run this hot. Dell as it happens is even known for having quite a few heat issues in some of their consumer lines.

13. Queen6, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

All the Time and none reach the same temperatures as my MBP`s. Apple prioritises noise over cooling, as they believe this enhances the user experience. A PC portable will spool up fans far faster in general and prevent the elevated temperatures building up, Mac`s are the very opposite with fans now not spooling up until CPU temp exceeds 90C on the Retina`s.

Apple`s stance is fine for the consumer that does not push the hardware, for those that do it`s generally annoying as the fans cut in late, hard and run continuously. As the system is already thermally saturated this all adds up to a hot and noisy Notebook, anyone owning a MBP and uses it knows this. By altering the temperature curve of the cooling plan with an app like UltraFan a 15" MBP can and does run considerably cooler as the fan control is simply more proactive...