Fans on uMPB loud at 4k RPM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Advil, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Advil macrumors 6502a

Hey all. I run my fans at 4000 RPM constantly to stay at a decent temp. Prior to this week this fan speed was virtually inaudible. However how they're as loud as they used to be at 6000 RPM. My guess is dust buildup is causing this and I was wondering if there was a quick way to clear the vents. On my old PC laptop I would just blow compressed air into the back vent and it would clear the dust out, but I can't figure out what to do now.

Thanks for your input

2. kolax macrumors G3

Take the back off and put a hoover close to the fans to suck off any dust.

Also, you didn't tell us what your temperatures are..

3. rcf-dds macrumors member

rcf-dds

also have a 13" uMBP.

usually keep mine around ~3000 RPM... pretty much silent

put it at over 4K when i'm running heavy, but yeah that's when the fan gets pretty audible, still don't think it's that loud though

my old dell inspiron used to sound like it would get up and fly away whenever the fans would kick in - these things run quiet!

4. Advil thread starter macrumors 6502a

With the fans at the default 2000 rpm my temps get well over 60C and sometimes mid 70's. With it on 4000 it goes down to 40's and if I get really intensive up to the high 50's.

This is with it on the "better battery life" mode since the gpu gets it much hotter and I only use it when I must.