Fans problem.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mathalaxryn, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Mathalaxryn macrumors newbie

Hi. I have this problem that keeps popping up since the last two weeks and figured out that I could ask for help here before going to the Apple Store. Basically, each time i try to power my mac, the fans start really violently and then five seconds later, my mac shuts down. I've done many smc reset, without any successful results.

Any idea?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

So you're not able to boot up at all? Or does this happen after you're up and running? If the latter, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your temps and fan speeds. Then post them here. If you're not able to boot up at all, take it to Apple and let them check it out.

3. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

What kind of mac and model is it?

4. Mathalaxryn thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm able to boot somehow after some time. I already have an application like this and there is no problems with the fans once the computer is open. It happens only when i put it to sleep and come back after a few hours, but not always. For example, it's been about a week since it last did that.

----------

It's a Macbook Pro early 2011.

5. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

Well, in that case, I would firstly recommend resetting the PMU/SMC before suggesting anything else.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You need to monitor temps to determine if the shut down is due to heat or some other factor. The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)
    Did you read?:

7. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

I thought I had, but evidently I completely missed that line... Oh well, I'm only human :rolleyes:

8. Mathalaxryn thread starter macrumors newbie

My mac isn't overheating when it works, though. I've checked the temperature many times and they do not exceed the normal readings.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It appears your shutdowns are not heat related. If fans are spinning up without increased heat, usually the SMC reset fixes that. If this is an intermittent problem, it's harder to diagnose. If you can monitor the conditions when it shuts down, it would help. What apps are running? What are temps and fan speeds? Are you on battery or AC power? If on battery, what remaining charge do you have? If you can just keep an eye on these things, you may be able to identify a pattern that would help to identify the problem.

10. Mathalaxryn thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I'll try to make it work (sometimes it takes quite a lot of time) and I'll get back to you.

11. snberk103 macrumors 603

The general rule of thumb is that consistent problems are software, and intermittent problems are hardware. It's not 100% accurate, but it's pretty close. This appears to be intermittent.... so I'd drop by an Apple Store.

The other thing it might be is a lose temperature sensor connection. Under regular use it's working, so you don't see high temps. Then the connection flakes out, the system senses high temperatures and does a shut down.

If you can find an app that logs temperature readings, and reads those temps really frequently, then perhaps you can catch a spiking temperature in the logs. That will at least point you at the place to start checking connections.

Have you opened up your system recently for any reason?