Fans randomly turn on at full speed during sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wilson1313, May 25, 2017.

1. Wilson1313 macrumors member

I have a Macbook Pro Retina 13" (Early 2015) running El Capitan. Not sure if it was an update recently or not, but about a week ago the fans randomly start running full blast when the computer is asleep. This occurs nearly every day now, mostly when the computer is asleep in the middle of the night (I have been shutting my computer down to prevent this).

I tried the SMC reset procedure https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295 a few times but this hasn't done the trick (unless I am not resetting it properly).

Are there any other techniques to reset the SMC or any other advice?

2. ryguy92000 macrumors regular

ryguy92000

Try an SMC reset combined with a PRAM reset. If those still don't work hold D on boot up for the diagnostic screen, follow the prompts and let us know what comes out if anything.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

Unless there is a reason that is terribly important to keep running the MacBook at night, why not just shut it down and be done with it?

Bootup these days takes only a few seconds...

4. jgarthwaite77 macrumors newbie

Mine does this, it's a 2009, it looks like it's the automatic updates, I have them set to run at night when the MacBook is asleep. I can hear the fans stir up and in the morning I get a notification the update is complete.

5. MC6800 macrumors 6502

Console will tell you what was going on at the time-- the reason should still be in your logs. Choose "All Messages", enter "wake" in the search box, and then hit the "Earlier" button below the log to go back days.

6. Wilson1313 thread starter macrumors member

Updated to Sierra finally and seems to be fixed.

7. Wilson1313 thread starter macrumors member

After about a month, started having this issue again with fans randomly turning on full blast in the middle of the night while the computer is asleep. Tried resetting SMC again. Any other suggestions? Going to Apple Store or clean install Sierra??

8. MC6800 macrumors 6502

What did Console say was happening at that time?