Fans run louder

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by FJ2011, Jul 29, 2011.

1. FJ2011 macrumors member

I just purchased the new MBA 13. I have use it most time on the bed or sofa. After 30-45 mins, the fans start to become noticeable at around 2800 rpm. But the CPU usage is only 5%. I am guessing because the vent on the back are blocked. Once I lift the MBA, the fun is quite after 20 mins with 2000rpm...

Anyone have the same issue when you use the MBA on the bed or sofa (not on the table)?

Thanks,

2. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

The bed or sofa can tend to blos the airflow out the back, so yes, that is likely normal.

3. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

I don't know if it is stated in the manual that you can use it lying on the bed. But the manual will always state that you place it in such a way that you are not blocking any airways...

just my two cents...

4. Typswif2fingers, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011

Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

Yes. This not only with my MBA though... MBP also kicks in the fans when the notebook is used like that. I think, though, it is only to be expected.

The way that the fan aeration angle is designed will mean that when the notebook is on a soft surface, it will dip it a little bit, causing the angle to be obstructed so the fan(s) will kick in to provide same amount of air with higher rps.

Apple does not recommend that the notebook is used on soft surfaces such as bed, sofa, pillow etc. But I sometimes do...

On the same note, this almost the only time I actually hear the fans...

Ah just remembered... You can always use some flat hard surface to elevate the notebook... a thin plastic chopping board, or a sheet of glass... or something else... to that effect... Probably there are some other ways... Come to think of it.. might buy some chopping boards, repackage and sell them as "MacBedMate v.0.1" 10 times the price :)

EDIT: Apologies for repeating the previous posts... Given I type with two fingers :) it takes some time to write an answer... When I started, there was no other posts :)

5. FJ2011 thread starter macrumors member