Fans Running allot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 700-Grizz, Dec 25, 2014.

1. 700-Grizz macrumors 6502

I have a Macbook Pro late 2011 model, it seems lately that my fans are running more and more. They start running up pretty high for a minute then go back to normal for a while, Im not doing anything intensive on it except browsing the internet. What you think is going on?

2. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

the fans might mean you need to reset the smc

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

run apple hardware test on extended

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257

a.h.t. will test the temperature sensors and logic board

if those don't fix it, then maybe you need to reset pram
    http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

if that doesnt fix it, i dunno!

maybe its just testing the fan??? my dell likes to run the fan very loudly and at full blast right before it decides to go to standby!

the genius bar test will also test the fans and temperature sensors

3. 700-Grizz thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks I ran the hardware (reg) test and came back ok. I just did the SMC reset by turning off computer and holding shift/control/option/power all at once then turning on power. they say you may see the light on the magsafe connector turn color or blink (I didnt see any change) I did the reset like 3 times but how can you tell if the SMC was ever reset?

4. 700-Grizz thread starter macrumors 6502

Little report, so far after the SMC reset my fans have hardly run at all, so it seems that did the trick.

5. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

if you do a smc reset it is assumed to have been performed ., as long as you follow the directions

i got into a big spat over this what apple calls " resetting your SMC controller " it's just apple's lingo for powering down, unplugging the power source, and allowing the capacitors to drain.

when you keep your computer plugged into a power source, with the computer on or off, that power source is feeding the smc controller, and unplugging the power source and draining the capacitors is what resets it

whether or not you are unplugging and waiting 15 seconds or unplugging and pressing the power button ( on a desktop ) or pressing shift / control / option power on a laptop , all your doing is draining all residual energy in the capacitors, allowing the mac to start up with a clean smc

people wrote me back saying pressing the power button on a desktop while the computer is unplugged isn't the apple way. i can't believe that. season 8 Quincy did a whole show based on residual energy in electronics!!!!

6. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Run your note on the battery for some time, then performer the SMC reset and you will see the charging light cycle.

Q-6

7. 700-Grizz thread starter macrumors 6502

Will do, thanks