Fans running at full speed (rMBP 15)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Trojans, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Trojans macrumors member

Hey all,

I just received my 2nd replacement for my macbook pro retina. The reason I returned the first one was because even though I didn't do anything, the fans were randomly running at full speed for approximately 1 or 2 minutes. However, this issue happened again with my replacement. Does anyone have any ideas what cause this? When the fans were running at full speed, I checked activity monitor. The CPU usage was around 0.5%.

If anyone has the similar issue or has solutions, please help me out.

Thank you in advance.

2. Maggot FF macrumors member

Maggot FF

Have you downloaded any programs or apps on it that you also had on the last one?

Try resetting the SMC. Here's how to do it.

3. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

It could be flash. I installed flashblock and signed up for youtube's html 5 beta. My computer has been running much cooler and fans are down to normal most of the time.

The fans used to run even after I quit chrome or whatever browser I was using.

Try flashblock. It could help.

4. Trojans thread starter macrumors member

Appreciated the response. I was just doing the basic setup on the new machine. I know macbook pro can get really hot sometimes, but this time is totally different.

Like I said, I was just doing basic stuff, but fans were running at FULL speed. I mean FULL speed. It was extremely LOUD, and it lasts for about a minute.

So far, it has happened three times. The fan just randomly kicked in by itself.

I have reset SMC and PRAM, and none of them helped, and the issue happened again as I'm typing.

5. bdeitemeyer macrumors member

6. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

mine does this too randomly..

they will turn on full speed for maybe 15-20 sec then slow down

7. jangozo macrumors member

There are too many variables with this one. What is your room temperature when the fans start increasing speed? What classifies as full speed for you? Bear in mind some simple apps like Mail caused rmbps to bump up the fan speed even with almost no CPU usage. SMC reset is your first step.

8. Trojans thread starter macrumors member

I suggest you to Apple care about the issue. It's definitely not software issue because after I reinstalled OS, the issue still exists.

----------

That's exactly happening to me. They suddenly run at full speed for less than a minute, and then they slow down. At the mean time, I check my activity monitor, the CPU usage is like less than 0.5%.

----------

My room temperature was around 60 when the fans started running at high speed. I don't think room temperature or apps are the causes of this issue. It probably a hardware related issue. The reason I say that is because I just reinstalled OS completely, and the issue is still there. I have reset SMC and PRAM, it doesn't work.

9. TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

I had a 15" rMBP 2.3 with 8gb of RAM that would run the fans at full speed every 30 minutes or so with barely any apps running. I returned to purchase a 15" rMBP 2.6 with 16GB of RAM (i wanted more RAM) Had it for three weeks.

Point is the fans have NOT TURNED ON ONCE since i've had it (purchased 12.24.12) I am running different sorts of apps. Nothing really seems to be heating up either.

I am not complaining! lol

maybe you should take yours in to see what's up