Fans running high after upgrading to Lion on 2011 15" 2.2

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tydog07, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

I recently upgraded to Lion and now my fan speeds won't dip under 3000RPM, I tried playing with the settings on SMC fan control, but it won't die down. My temperatures are pretty low (40s-mid50s) and I'm not taxing it out, the ambient temperature is about 70 degrees F. What gives? I know this is taking out some of my battery life. I hear doing a clean install helps.

I'm also having this other problem:

When I connected my MBP to my 720P HDTV last night, the video I watched on it was slightly studdery and un-smooth. The desecrate graphics were being used and I was using a MDP-HDMI dongle to connect to my HDTV. I choose mirroring of the display and then closed the lid on my MBP (sound came out from TV speakers). Can the discrete graphics not handle displaying HD video onto my TV? The output to the TV said it was 1080i (even though it's 720P) and when I changed it to 720P, the TV screen wouldn't display the monitor, so I put it back onto 1080i and had to use the overscan slider a little bit.

2. spike91 macrumors newbie

fan racing

I have had the same problem on my Mac Pro since the upgrade. I have turned off all the sharing, as suggested by others, but it gets kicked back on when my iTunes goes to retrieve a film from that library. I now have the screen going to sleep to save energy but have the computer always on and awake to save my fan. This appears to be a problem affecting many systems since the upgrade.

3. Tydog07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well my fan problem has seemed to have subsided, but now when I boot up, I have to wait 20 seconds before the apple logo appears on the white screen, is that normal?

4. davmcn macrumors regular

I have exactly the same Macbook as you. And I upgraded it the day I got it to Lion, and haven't had any problems besides a few Wireless Problems, that are now fixed. Mine stays around 2000RPM 45-50C. I didn't do a clean install though.

5. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I use my i5 MBP in clamshell mode so it does run a bit hotter than one with the lid open...mine typically runs at about 60 to 70 degrees while running Chrome with several tabs...The fans DO seem to run at about double the rpm's though...

6. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

Not on this model.. make sure you select the correct drive in Startup Disk and that there's no CD in the drive.

7. Tydog07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I have nothing in the CD drive and no other drives are connected to my MBP, what else could it be and how can I fix this?

8. tripleacs macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5274d Safari/7534.48.3)

I had the same issue. Did a bit of digging - it turned out to be spotlight rebuilding all the indexes.

Once it was complete - after running overnight - fans went back to normal.

9. tripleacs macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5274d Safari/7534.48.3)

I had the same issue. Did a bit of digging - it turned out to be spotlight rebuilding all the indexes.

Once it was complete - after running overnight - fans went back to normal.

10. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

never had this problem so far.
    Always running around 1999rpm on browsing, mail, etc.
    Unless gaming, CS5, and other. That kicks it up to 6000rpm

11. Tydog07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Right now, while just web browsing I'm at 43-45 degrees and my fan control settings at 2700 rpm, it seems normal now.

But still having the startup problem.