Fans running high during charging

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gtgrad95, Oct 29, 2007.

1. gtgrad95 macrumors 6502

I've had my MBP for about 2.5 months and very happy with it. Since my Applecare is soon to run out, I want to make sure what I'm seeing is not an issue. With the A/C plugged in and the battery charging, I notice that the fans run high between 4000 and 6000 RPM, the Memory Controller temp is at 61C or higher, and the bottom of the laptop is very hot. Is this normal or do I need to contact Apple? Thanks.

2. gtgrad95 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. tngisaga macrumors member

That's unusual behavior that you're getting from your computer. The laptop usually hovers around 2000RPM if you're just surfing the internet, listening to music, etc. Do the fans only spin faster only when the battery is being charged? You should also try opening Activity Monitor to check if there are anything processor intensive going on. Also, check to see if you have the latest firmware for the Macbook Pro. I think a new one came out a month ago.

Here's the link:
    http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macbookproefifirmwareupdate14.html

4. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

If you do a search, you'll find that it's common for the memory controller temp to rise when charging the batteries. It doesn't seem to be affecting the notebook too negatively and the operating temp max is around 100C before the machine shuts down for safety IIRC.