Fans running high. No battery icon

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gillilandboy, May 2, 2011.

1. gillilandboy macrumors 6502

I was working on my Macbook Pro (unibody, 2.8GHz, 8GB RAM, 10.6.7) and my battery was getting a little low. I plugged in my magsafe and all of the sudden my Macbook Pro shut off (battery did not die) I turned it back on and then fans are running HIGH and I went in to activity monitor and saw nothing crazy. I also have NO battery icon in the top left and when I press the button on the side of my Macbook there are no lights. It seems like my Macbook doesn't know I have a battery but I am using it right now to type this post.

Any help would be great guys. My MacBook is out of warranty so anything I can try here would be ideal.

Thanks,
    Michael

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Reset the SMC (instructions in the CHARGING section of the following link). This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. gillilandboy thread starter macrumors 6502

I should have thought of this! Thanks guys appreciate it.

4. Mmbecker macrumors newbie

Hey, you made me so happy when I founded this thread. I have exactly the same issue. And it helps to see that someone else had solved it.

How did you fix it? What was the problem? Please, let me know. I'm a Swedish stuck in Nicaragua and need my computer.

5. Mmbecker macrumors newbie

It worked!!! Smc reset and everything works. Thanks guys! You are best

6. thntp macrumors newbie

I had similar problem with gilliandboy 8 years later with Macbook Air and the SMC resetting advise worked. Thank you for the tips!