Fans running more often on Mav

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by DisplacedMic, Oct 23, 2013.

1. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

I think my computer is running hotter... could it just be "Settling in" (doing updates etc) that's making it run warmer? what do you guys think?

2. fenneberg macrumors newbie

I´m also thinking the MBA mid2012 is now running hotter...

Waiting, waiting to see if it settles in. :confused:

3. DisplacedMic thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks for replying. I am thinking that settling in is exactly what's happening :)

probably a new spotlight indexing plus all the updates the pushed after the new update.

i'll keep an eye on it but it's probably nothing :)

4. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

I didn't notice at first but my fans are running "louder" than before I updated to Mavericks. They are still inaudible when I'm just sitting and browsing but when I put my ear up to the fan it's louder than it used to be. Before I basically couldn't hear anything and now it's very clearly heard.

5. mortenandersen macrumors 6502

Still more fan activity?

Has the fan activity been reduced after some time, after Mav has been "settled"? Perhaps when some sort of indexing has been finished, if the system does so in the first time after installation?

6. mortenandersen macrumors 6502

Why no response to this post?

I wrote this post almost a week ago but no one has responded. How is this lack of response to be understood or interpreted?

Has the fan activity become normal and low again?

Or is the fan activity still higher than normal?

As this is an important point for many users considering to upgrade or not, it would be interesting to get some input from upgraders who have noticed a difference or not.

7. CapitanoFL macrumors newbie

My safari plugins traps into "non responding" state

... and consuming cpu cycles - check activity monitor and kill these processes, your fan will slow down right after.

8. B1ueB1aze macrumors member

9. DisplacedMic thread starter macrumors 65816

i'm so sorry -you're absolutely right i should have followed up. i forgot to subscribe to this thread so i didn't notice it was still active until i just noticed it on the front page.

yes - it has settled down. it does seem to get a bit warmer after being connected to the TBD than it did before, but nothing major and could be my imagination. all in all i am happy with the upgrade, not having any issues.

Not seeing as huge of batterylife improvements as the people with 13" airs are reporting but i am still getting 5-6 hours easy which is spectacular!

10. kruso2 macrumors regular

My Macbook Air 13 (i5) is dead silent. I haven't heard the fan once (not played any games though). Huge improvement from my previous 2010 (?) C2D with 320 nvidia chip.

11. mortenandersen, Nov 2, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013

mortenandersen macrumors 6502

Thanks for valuable info from DisplacedMic and kruso2

As I am very sensitive to noise from the device (also fan noise), I am very glad to hear that the 2013 MBA (also when running with Mavericks) is silent.