Fans Running Nonstop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Projekt, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Projekt macrumors member

I have a 2006 Macbook pro whose fans run full speed from the instant it starts until shutdown. I've installed SMC fan control and even after booting up it immediately shows temperatures in the 100 degree (F) range. The machine itself feels cool to the touch and no programs are running during this time.

I've tried an SMC reset but now I'm completely stumped- the machine is hard to use with this level of noise and I'm concerned the fans will prematurely wear themselves out.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Install iStat Pro to get accurate readings of your temps. Resetting the SMC will help if the fans are spinning without increased heat. If you do have increased heat:
    1. Launch Activity Monitor
    2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
    3. Click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
    4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
    5. Take a screen shot of the whole Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
    6. Post your screenshots.

3. ender land macrumors 6502a

This might be a dumb possibility but it's worth mentioning. Do you have smcFanControl set at 5000 or 6000?

Make sure that's on default or a lower setting and not forcing your fans at that speed.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not dumb at all. That's a very likely possibility.

5. Projekt thread starter macrumors member

I've attached a screenshot. This is a clean install of snow leopard and the fan problem starts at boot, so I don't believe it is an issue with some program sucking up resources.

That being said- I'm out of ideas. I looked up the procedure for temp sensor replacement and its quite labour intensive. Is there any way to tell if the sensors are damaged or defective?

Attached Files:

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Please re-read the instructions and post the entire Activity Monitor windows, as important information is missing.

7. Projekt thread starter macrumors member

My apologies. Attached is an updated screenshot.

Attached Files:

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Sorry, but you need to re-read the instructions, including the bolded step 2, and try again.

9. Projekt thread starter macrumors member

All over the place today- hopefully this will do it.

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      165.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      170.3 KB
      Views:
  10. ender land macrumors 6502a

You checked this, right?

11. Projekt thread starter macrumors member

I did- the computer exhibited the problem before installing the program and I cannot set the fan speeds any lower. The fans fire up to this speed the second the power button is pressed.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Thanks, that's better. I don't see anything there that would prompt high temps. Did you install iStat Pro? If so, can you take a screen shot of that, so we can see your temps?

13. Projekt thread starter macrumors member

Attached. These temperatures are consistent from the moment the computer boots and generally don't move around much.

Attached Files:

14. astrorider macrumors 6502

Have you tried running the Apple Hardware Test? Maybe it'll find a failing temp sensor?

I recommend running it while plugged in; I've seen false failures related to running off the battery.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

15. Projekt thread starter macrumors member

I've actually been trying to do this- the problem is I no longer have the original discs for this computer. Would a retail Snow Leopard disc work? Can an ISO be downloaded somewhere?

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your temps are quite normal. I would disable SMC fan control, then do another SMC reset. If that doesn't help, it's likely you have a faulty fan sensor.

17. Projekt thread starter macrumors member

Managed to get the Apple Diagnostic running and it indicates a faulty GPU0 sensor- is this something that can be replaced (I already have the machine open with the logic board unscrewed) or is it part of the graphics chip?