Fans spinning at 243rpm...isn't this extremely low?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ozreth, Jul 27, 2012.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

I may be reading istat pro wrong but it says Fans are spinning at 243 RPM while idling, it also says exhaust next to it though and I dont know what that means. I read everywhere that they should be around 2000rpm. My whole computer is warm and it isn't going away. 2010 13" MBP.

Also, right before I noticed this I was playing a pretty intensive game in Windows without being plugged in and the computer died.

Thoughts?

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It sounds like either a faulty fan sensor or faulty fans. The minimum speed should be around 2000 rpm, and iStat Pro is very reliable in reporting stats. What CPU and GPU temps does it show?

4. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Just did a reboot and now the fan is reading around 2000rpm and the CPU temp is around 60. Hmph. Weird. Does it sound like a problem or just a funny glitch? The computer is cooling down to the touch no as well.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Sounds like a glitch, but I'd keep a closer eye on it for a while.

6. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Will do. Thanks! Is it possible that it has something to do with booting into windows?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't see how that could affect it.

8. theBostonian Suspended

But sometimes effects carry over into other OSes, to whit: If one were to use smcFanControl to override OS X's default fan speed to, say, 4k, and then reboots the system but instead of going into OS X they boot into Windows then the speed will stay 4k throughout the entire Windows session until either they reboot or put the computer to sleep and wake it up again.

Interesting problem regardless.