Fans turned on during night?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by delude, Mar 13, 2009.

1. delude macrumors 6502

Last night I turned my Unibody MacBook Pro off as usual, shutting it down completely. The screen went off and so did the pulsing light, showing it was not in sleep.

About 2 hours later I woke up to the sound of roaring fans, on what seemed to be like the highest level. I ran to my MBP and found that it was ridiculously hot! There seemed to be no power through it as the screen would not come on but I couldn't turn it off either, so had to resort to taking the battery out.

What happened?

2. suburbiton macrumors member

Did you shut the lid before it fully shut down? One of my biggest criticisms of Macs - it happily goes to sleep halfway through shutdown.

3. delude thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply, I have done this before however last night I made 100% sure that it was off before I closed the lid. If it was put into sleep, the white light would have pulsed wouldn't it?

The weird thing was that when I went across to it and tried to turn it off I had no kind of feedback at all (screen was off, keys and trackpad did nothing, power button had no effect).

4. bossxii macrumors 68000

Aliens!!:eek:

lol that's the strangest thing I've heard yet. :confused:

Hope your able to find out what it is, but nothing comes to mind other than a possible short in the battery? just guessing, but if the machine is off the battery itself is the only means it could be heating up, but if the machine is truly off how would it activate the fans? Very strange indeed.

I'll assume you've called :apple: support already? even if not under warranty worth a call just to get some feedback from them. That is assuming you get to talk to an actual tech. Sorry to hear of this, hopefully no damage was done and hopefully it doesn't repeat.

5. delude thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies, it was so weird that I actually thought I was dreaming, so drifted off for another 10 minutes before actually getting up to look!

I haven't called Apple yet, but will be buying Applecare soon (I bought it in October but I guess the phone support will be useful) so may well ring and also mention the slight screen flickering when it is off battery and on a low brightness.

The problem is, I am fairly happy otherwise and would really want a replacement with the LG screen.

Thanks again guys :)