Fans won't go under 3500 rpm even with SMC

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dquack, Oct 6, 2009.

1. dquack macrumors member

Hi all I have the new unibody 17 MBP 3.06. The unit doesn't get hot and I love it, but my fans run at a constant 3300-3500 rpm (istat and SMC fan control). The lowest setting on SMC is 1000 rpm I wanted it to run around 2000, but when I set it up the fans rev down then 1 second after revving down to the slower speed run right back to 3500 area. Is this normal? I thought SMC was to override the apple settings. Just 2700 rpm's makes a sound difference on my MBP. Sorry I was in a rush and forgot to mention that I just added SMC. I have had the computer for a month now and istat pro had it at 3500 rpm since I have gotten it and that is just surfing the net and at an idle. Since installing SMC Fan control didn't fix it I am wondering if I should take it in to an apple store or not? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I would recommend uninstalling the the fan control properly reset the SMC and see if the fans come back down to the stock 2000 RPM. If not I would suggest you bring it to an Apple store and find out what's wrong with it.

Also, make sure there are no processes in the background that might work the CPU/computer to high temperatures.