fans wont turn on macbook retina 15

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anonymous4a, Apr 19, 2013.

1. anonymous4a macrumors 6502

hey guys, the fans in my macbook retina stay in default rpm speed regardless of whatever I"m running. I could playing a game and the fans wouldn't reach 5000 + rpm like they used to. It used to be automatic , the fans would run at higher speeds depending on what's running , is there anyway to fix this ?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You may have a hardware problem with the fans or the sensors, but it's also possible nothing is wrong. Your fans won't always spin faster when temps spike, but may require temps to be sustained at a high level before spinning up. Your Mac will shut down to prevent damage if temps reach an unsafe level.

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Did you install any 3rd party software which controls the speed of the fans, like smcfancontrol or iStatMenu's?

4. anonymous4a thread starter macrumors 6502

well temps are at 60 + and the fans don't start up. They still run at the 2000 rpm range, I even tried loading a game and it still wouldn't start up. I do have smc fan control but don't want to use that yet because the fans did use to start up automatically. Anyway to fix it ?

5. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I wouldn't be concerned that there is anything wrong until you see your CPU temps >90˚C, and your fans still idling.

I would suggest you be a little more aggressive and load the cores to force the temperature up close to 100˚C.

As you will still be under Applecare, you shouldn't be worried, either way.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's nothing to fix. Your fans won't spin faster at any particular temp. I've seen temps in the 70s and 80s for short periods of time without the fan spinning up. If they're sustained at a high enough temp, they'll spin faster as needed to keep temps within the normal operating range.