Fans work more while in Windows

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ZiggyPastorius, Jul 30, 2008.

1. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

And it's not even a pun!

When I boot into Windows on my Macbook, the fans go crazy, and run a lot faster, a lot longer, and a lot more often than when in Mac OS X. Also, in Windows, even doing similar tasks, my battery lasts much less time in Windows than in OS X, and I'm just curious...Is this something to do with the way the Operating systems handle fan speeds and battery? Is this something I can help? Thanks guys.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You've just encountered firsthand OS X's ability to power manage and control hardware.

3. BileGhost macrumors member

My MacBook can last as much as 4 times longer in Leopard than it can in XP. Thats just windows for you.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

thats bogus.

The only reason this is happening, is because apple's hardware drivers for windows, offered with bootcamp, do not include power saving features.

Windows power management is just as good as OSX and Linux. To say OSX power management is 200% more effective is just dishonest. Get any PC laptop with same capacity of battery, you won't see any of these problems.

5. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Not saying you're wrong, but my (now my mom's) Inspiron, has never had as long of battery life as my Macbook, and is also louder.

But, is there any way I can control the fans and stuff while in Windows?

6. M4CBOOK macrumors regular

M4CBOOK

my friends toshiba only lasts 1hr before it dies

7. BileGhost macrumors member

My friends brand new dell laptop running vista only lasts max 2 hours. I can make mine, running OS X, last up to 8.

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

first, to claim your mac laptop last 8 hrs is a joke, you can poll here and see how many people get 8 hrs out of the battery. My MB never lasted more than 4 hrs from day 1.

second, do understand that most pc laptop makers does not use high capacity batteries in most low to middle priced products.
    Thats simply because most pc laptops do not come with as high capacity batteries as macbook.

search google give me this http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/index.html about inspiron fan control, many other result as well, you can check them out.

For your MB, Im not sure if you want to do so, most CPU, Graphic card has step-wise technology to allow them run at lower speed when not in heavy use. Apple's windows drivers don't offer this, so all your hardwares are always at full speed, in this situation, just reducing fan speed might not be a good solution.

9. pinktank macrumors 6502

It also uses more processing power while idling which throttles the fans

10. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

All right, thanks for the help. It's not terribly annoying (i.e. I can live with it) and I can keep it plugged in.

11. BileGhost macrumors member

It depends what you are doing. You can take steps to make your battery last longer: one app at a time, and if like me, that app was something that uses little resources, such as preview, you will get a lot more out of your battery than say playing games.
    Disabling dashboard, or just removing any resource consuming apps (like the gmail one... that was definatly unexpected for me) can also increase your battery life.
    Disable bluetooth, and if possible, airport. They both drain your battery.
    Dim your screen, I have found if I sit in direct sunlight, having the backlight off makes minimal difference to having it on. But out of the sunlight you cant see a thing...
    And I swear my batery lasts longer when spaces is disabled, even if I'm only using one space.

Used normally, nothing disabled, and a couple of apps running, 4 hours sounds about right. I currently have nothing disabled (I only disable stuff when I know I need the battery power), 3 apps open, and backlight on nearly the top setting, and I have 3 hours of life left. Oh and I've already been using it for an hour and a half.
    Got citations to back that up? Any idea how many cells in a MB battery? I have searched the internet wide and could not find out...

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

There is no need to using these essentially meaningless data, nobody use it that way, then what does that mean anything to any normal user?

MB has been benchmarked by numerous websites, magazines, nobody ever claim it can last 8 hrs. I don't think there is anything about that can be argued.
    ?? isn't that simple? apple's website said MB's battery is 55whr, The one I used with windows vista, acer aspire 3680, which lasts 2 hrs, is 48whr, dell inspiron 2000 is 40whr. Not to say pc laptop don't use high capacity batteries, just most cheap ones don't.

13. BileGhost macrumors member

Sorry but I use it like that. For example, when I go to the library to study, I have a pdf document open in preview, and all the before mentioned things disabled. I get 8 hours. And my MacBooks not even new anymore. However, I have also heard of macbook batteries dropping to below 20mins battery time in only 6 months of use. Just be sure to cycle your battery correctly.
    Hows this:

Thats 6 hours. Disable the things I mentioned before, and you will get 8. Most I have ever got: 8:15

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

........ you didn't realize that 3.5 and 2.5 is "one, or the other"? and you add them together?:eek:

and are we talking about real test? or you just take whatever company's ads say? Apple over claiming battery life of their laptops is a tradition. Just like every other laptop makers, maybe even more.

again, make a simple poll and ask MB users their battery life.

PS, this still has nothing to do with OS power consumption, you can go check www.notebookreview.com for all the detailed review of both windows and mac laptops.

15. BileGhost macrumors member

No, thats 6 hours with wi-fi disabled. 3.5 with it enabled. Oh and my battery currently says 20%, 1.5 hours remaining. And thats with wi-fi enabled.

16. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

lol. I misread your title! Thought you meant that "fans" of windows OS work more! Well I use both OSs I certainly have to in Windows as it's a more "reluctant" and lethargic to perform than Mac OS.