Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
Hey. I just upgraded to a new MBP and both fans are running at about 2000 rpm all the time. Is this normal? And when they are at full power they are really loud. Im coming from a powerbook G4 so i dono if this is normal. Probably is but....

Thanks,

Jonathan

mattibek

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2007
Lexington, KY
That doesn't sound normal. What are you using your MBP for and do you have it sitting on a surface that is insulating it or not. Just had to ask, but if your just checking your email on a desk then that sounds wrong. When you say all the time do you mean immediately on start up or after a while or what.

ef651100

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2007
Actually, I think all Core 2 Duo MacBook Pros are on 2000rpm idle. It goes up to 6000rpm under full load. At least that's what I've been reading and what mine does.

I wouldn't worry about it, eh.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
Yeah i here them when they i start the comp. Im just doing the normal stuff on it. Nothing processor intensive.

mattibek

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2007
Lexington, KY
Yeah but I rarely hear my fans unless I have been working for an hour or two. This seems strange. I mean when my fans start to spin fast I hear them but normal it is very quiet.

jbuckner

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007
Tulsa
My 2.0 Core Duo Macbook Pro does the same thing. Regardless of the load the fans idle at 2000-2100. If this isn't normal let me know and I'll take her in to Apple. BTW it's not a Ram thing because I'm running 2 GB's.

pcguru83

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Charlotte, NC
My C2D MBP idles at around 2000RPM as well, so this is obviously normal.

However, when doing non-processor intensive stuff like suring the net, checking e-mail, etc I can just barely hear the fans.

Oddly, I don't recall ever hearing them at all until after I installed Vista (which really ramped up the fans).

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
My 2.0 Core Duo Macbook Pro does the same thing. Regardless of the load the fans idle at 2000-2100. If this isn't normal let me know and I'll take her in to Apple. BTW it's not a Ram thing because I'm running 2 GB's.

Fan speed is more dependent on temperture over time than load. Run yes > /dev/nul & (twice) for about thirty minutes to see your temps soar (and fan ramp up accordingly). I think it is a nice trade off. As long as you aren't doing extensive stuff for an extended amount of time your system stays pretty quiet. Much better than how most PC Laptops are.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
2000 is the normal idle to light work rpm. It should just sound like a faint wind when you put your head close to the keyboard.

Its no where near as loud as my roommate's acer laptop...that thing is loud idle and full load.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.