Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

fantastical.jpg
Popular calendar app Fantastical 2 for Mac was today updated to version 2.3.1, adding support for the Touch Bar in the new 13 and 15-inch MacBook Pro models.

The Touch Bar in Fantastical 2 allows users to quickly swipe through the months, days, weeks, or years on their calendar, accessing future or past information with a few gestures. There's also an option to return to today's date and a feature for switching between different calendars.

When selecting a specific event, there's an option for seeing more information about it, or changing the calendar where it's listed, and when adding a new event, the Touch Bar lets users add emoji, choose a calendar, set a reminder time, and more.

Along with Touch Bar support, today's update also includes a few new minor features, bug fixes, and performance improvements.
What's New
- Touch Bar support for the new MacBook Pro
- New Add Detected Invitees option to automatically add invitees detected in a sentence (for example, "Lunch meeting with John tomorrow at 12:30pm")
- Added option to complete reminder when clicking and holding on the Snooze button of a Reminder notification
- Fixed dragging reminders without a due date from the Reminders section into the calendar view
- Minor performance improvements in the Month view
- Fixed visual glitch when using Graphite theme on macOS Sierra
- Various fixes and improvements
Fantastical 2 can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for $39.99 (limited time price). [Direct Link]

Article Link: Fantastical 2 for Mac Updated With Touch Bar Support

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
Good to see. I think, in spite of the predictable grousing, TouchBar has interesting potential and I'm happy to see devs already exploring the possibilities.

There are keyboards with dynamic displays, and back in the day there were even keyboard remapping utils that came with physical overlays. No one had a problem with those. Touch Bar is a miniature version of that concept, certainly in the same genre, and certainly not merely a dock extension as some have suggested.

I'm looking forward to seeing what programmers do with it.

Last edited:

noraa

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
Great Calendar - pricey, but worth it the end for me. They still haven't fixed the incredibly annoying bug introduced in El Capitan and exacerbated in Sierra, the menubar item doesn't work in fullscreen apps. So very annoying.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
Played around with the touch bar today. It's okay. I thought it would have been brighter and be closer to the surface, it 'feels' nice though.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Sweet! I'm really looking forward to seeing what developers come up with.
It'll take time, but I have no doubt utilization of the T-bar in software and Apps will come in a big way.
The potential for function or feature selection as well as numerous shortcuts is just too great.

Obviously for now, this all has to be compatible with non-T-bar keyboards of course, but I suspect the T-bar will eventually be adopted system wide.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
When I first saw the price of the Mac app, I thought that was nuts. I then did some looking around and saw all that it could do and and how well it looked. I decided to take the app dive and wow, I am glad I did just now. This app blows Apple's default calendar app out of the sky.

Last edited:
Reactions: Weaselboy and ob81
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.