Fantastical 2 for OS Gains Stickers, Rich Notifications, and Haptic Feedback

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular calendar apps Fantastical 2 for the iPhone and Fantastical 2 for the iPad are both being updated to version 2.8, adding support for many new features introduced in iOS 10.

Fantastical 2 now includes a set of stickers that can be used within the Messages app. The stickers feature an animated, smily calendar icon with useful sayings like "I'm on my way!" or "I'm running late!" so users can send quick messages to friends. There are also a set of emoji-based stickers for general usage.

Rich notifications are now included, so users can see additional details about upcoming events and reminders directly from the lock screen, and on the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus, haptic feedback is supported.
"We're really happy about iMessage stickers," said Michael Simmons, Co-Founder of Flexibits. "They are a fun and friendly way to let someone know you're running late or even propose a dinner date."
With all of the iOS 10 features, both versions of Fantastical 2 now require users to be running the iOS 10 operating system. Other new features include improved support for Dynamic Type, improved reliability of the Apple Watch app, and other small fixes and performance improvements.

Fantastical 2 for the iPhone is available from the App Store for $4.99. [Direct Link]

Fantastical 2 for the iPad is available from the App Store for $9.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Fantastical 2 for OS Gains Stickers, Rich Notifications, and Haptic Feedback

martint235

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2016
I keep hearing good things about Fantastical but I'm unsure what it gives me over say Informant? Also I still baulk at paying twice for an app (I'm still fairly new to Apple from Android)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I keep hearing good things about Fantastical but I'm unsure what it gives me over say Informant? Also I still baulk at paying twice for an app (I'm still fairly new to Apple from Android)
I'm not familiar with Informant, but I do use Fantastical and probably its best feature IMO is the way it can parse natural text into an event or task. For example, you can say "lunch next Wednesday with Bob" and it will create an event at noon next Wednesday. It also does a nice job of integrating reminders into the calendar so you don't need to jump over to a separate Reminders app.

martint235

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2016
I'm not familiar with Informant, but I do use Fantastical and probably its best feature IMO is the way it can parse natural text into an event or task. For example, you can say "lunch next Wednesday with Bob" and it will create an event at noon next Wednesday. It also does a nice job of integrating reminders into the calendar so you don't need to jump over to a separate Reminders app.
Ooh ok. I'll give the phone version a look then. Informant also handles reminders (and syncs back to the Reminders app) which I agree is useful

Reactions: Weaselboy

GamerBoredom

Suspended
Oct 29, 2013
Colorado
Never used or heard of Informant, maybe because I'm stuck under the Fantastical rock! I love it, it can be pricey but goes on sale randomly for iOS and macOS. Their support is great as well.

With all the work and different sites I have, this app saves me time, and the integration of reminders in a checklist form factor inside the app is amazing!!!

I swear by it and have been a fan for years.

CAO 303

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2011
NHV CT
For me, the best part of Fantastical is its widget. Full-month calendar right there with *all* your day's stuff below it (not just the one thing that's coming up next). That said, I'm a huge fan of Calendars5 as an app because you can read events directly on the day (in month view, which is how I use it) instead of just looking at dots. If Fantastical went to Calendars5's layout in the app, or conversely if Calendars5's widget stopped sucking and looked more like Fantastical's, I'd gladly lose one of them.

nburwell

macrumors 601
May 6, 2008
DE
I have wanted to try out Fantastical, but I haven't really run into any major qualms with the stock calendar app.

MacknTosh

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2015
I have wanted to try out Fantastical, but I haven't really run into any major qualms with the stock calendar app.
Try setting an event on your iPhone with a 'floating' time zone. Can be done on the Calendar on an iMac (and will sync to the phone with a floating time zone), but it's not possible to create an event on the iPhone with a floating time zone.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Having calendar entries and reminders on the same app makes so much sense, I expect Apple will combine them sometime in the near future. Frankly, when reminders first showed up - I wondered why they were separate.

Can anyone speak to the battery life impact of the Fantastical Watch app? I've been avoiding non-Apple watch apps because the ones I've tried seem to hammer the battery.

rcooked

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2015
Was kind hoping to see the integration with Google where availability was available. This would have drawn me back in.

Stickers, not so much.... but my use case my be different than most.

groove-agent

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2006
Im a huge organization freak, but I never understood the advatange to this app. It looks
and behaves too much like Apple's calendar with a few added tweaks (most of their listed features are the same as Apple calendar). For the price i couldnt justify it. I do like the integrated tasks but thats not their invention -
iCal used to do this back in the day anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.