MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Flexibits today announced the release of version 3.3 of its popular calendar app Fantastical for Mac, with key new features including full compatibility with macOS Big Sur, native support for Apple Silicon, and a new design.

fantastical-macos-big-sur.jpg

Fantastical version 3.3 also supports macOS Big Sur's revamped Notification Center widgets with customizable themes and sizes, displays sunrise and sunset times in the weather forecast, provides severe weather alerts, adds support for adding Microsoft Teams meetings to events on Office 365, and more.

Many of these new features and others have also been implemented in the latest version of Fantastical for iPhone and iPad.

Fantastical is free on the Mac App Store/App Store for Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch, with a Fantastical Premium subscription required to unlock all features. A subscription costs $4.99 per month or $39.99 per year in the United States.

Article Link: Fantastical Updated for macOS Big Sur With New Design, Widgets, Native Support for Apple Silicon, and More

• Angry
Reactions: jb-net

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Nice to see the people that have no interest in the app come in and grace the rest of us with the usual diatribes about subscription apps in general.

Fantasitcal is a great app. If it is something you need (or just want) it is well worth the $$. The degree to which they continue to develop and expand the capabilities of the app is very impressive.

Comment

mcdawg

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2015
I really like Fantastical’s natural language ability. It is one of the reasons I use the app with my phone and watch. I wish Apple had that kind of quality with their stock calendar.
The only natural language recognition that I, personally, want from of a calendar app is one that can understand me when I say “Hell no I am not going to start using a calendar that requires a damn subscription fee.”

Comment

torukawahata

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2015
I pay for the app because my company has restrictions on outlook regarding iOS. Somehow Fantastical lets me bypass that. Also, Todoist integration is nice. Why are people outraged about an app when they are free to use what they like?

Comment

haralds

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I live by my calendar. The zoom integration alone makes Fantastical worth a cup of coffee a month across all my devices. Since they use native calendar dabs (iCal and Exchange,) you are not locked in.

Comment

mannyvel

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
"I dropped $1k on my phone and don't want to spend $5/mo to get a better calendar app."

I'd pay that much for a decent to-do app. I've been using Microsoft's to-do app ever since they subsumed that other to-do app, but it has its weaknesses. I guess it's time to check out Fantastical.

Reactions: Apple_Robert
Comment

LV426

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2013
Why are people outraged about an app when they are free to use what they like?
For the same reason that a home owner would not be keen on paying rent.

A lot of people find software subscriptions extremely irksome. It is infuriating when you have the stark choice of renting or not using software. That doesn’t sound like freedom to me. I generally avoid subscriptions because they give me less control. I absolutely do not mind paying for updated versions of apps, providing I think the upgrade is worth the cost. But to have a vendor insist I pay periodically on the off-chance that something might get improved or fixed, on pain of lock out, is Demanding Money With Menaces as far as I’m concerned. I’m not getting sucked into that rabbit hole.

Comment

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Severe weather alerts - just what I look for in a calendar app.
Severe weather alerts - just what I look for in a calendar app.
I don’t really look at the current weather conditions in the Fantastical app as I use a different weather app. However, I do think weather integration is a nice feature and important for those people who have a busy calendar and need to keep abreast of conditions. And having such a feature in the same app is convenient for many I am sure.

The same can be said of iOS and its built in weather app. And yet, you mock Fantastical.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rafagon and profets
Comment

calvin2006

macrumors regular
May 15, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
The ability to propose multiple meeting times is very useful to me.

All software is a rental unless you never plan on upgrading to the newest version. If you care enough to follow this forum, you probably pay to upgrade apps and are therefore paying for a subscription to use your paid apps.

Comment

beastforum

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2020
Will never subscribe to a calendar app. Things have gotten out of hand in terms of insanity. Sorry but no. Never.
I will never do subscriptions full stop. It’s madness. You never own it, tied to paying forever if you actually use it a lot, in fear of losing your stuff and works out far more expensive. How is a calendar app worth £40 a year? It’s nothing to do with the lack of money on my part. It’s the principal. My 12 pro max is coming today and my m1 mbp 13” coming in a week or so. I OWN them though. One payment.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.