Fantastical vs default Calendar

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by richlin71, Sep 28, 2016.

1. richlin71 macrumors newbie

I've read lots of great things about Fantastical and finally bought it. The advantage it has over default Calendars is that it shows Reminders with times inline with calendar events. That's great, but I've also noticed that it's quite laggy when I go from the complication to the native app. That is, I can't scroll for the first few seconds while it refreshes. For me, that's a dealbreaker. The native Calendar app loads up and is responsive right away.

The other advantage of Fantastical is you can create events using natural language input, whereas Calendar doesn't let you create an event unless you use Siri.

Am I missing any other benefits of Fantastical? because for now I've stopped using it.

2. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

3. marbla macrumors newbie

marbla

That's a very good question I have been pondering too. Even in the dock it does occasionally take time to load (at least more than the included calendar). On the other hand the layout and presentation is clearly better so maybe it's worth it.

4. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

I've found that too. Fantastical in the Dock can still take a few seconds to load fully.

5. Elmo1938 macrumors member

Elmo1938

I use Fantastical on my iMac, iPad and iPhone. It seemed only logical to complete the circuit and use it on my iWatch. It does take a bit longer to load but, so what.

6. StuBFrost macrumors member

For the modular 3 line complication, is Fantastical better than the stock calendar ?

7. marbla macrumors newbie

marbla

I think the main advantage is the information you get when you click on the Date. As far as I can see the only difference is cursive vs. non cursive font on the location. You do get a better view of multiple appointments when you tap on the fantastical complication and you can set it up more to your taste in the settings of the fantastical iPhone app.

8. StuBFrost macrumors member

I just bought Fantastical mainly for the Apple Watch app and unless I am missing something I don't see what the point is.

I thought it would show me future events on the complication but it only shows me what I have today which is all the stock one does and the watch app itself only shows the next weeks events which is all the stock app does as well.

Good job it is 40% off so I've only wasted a couple of quid.

9. Elmo1938 macrumors member

Elmo1938

for the watch,not so much
    it excels in data entry, combination with reminders, and use across all apple platforms.

I especially like the data entry.

10. marbla macrumors newbie

marbla

I'm with Elmo on that. If you use Fantastical with the other platforms then the rich data transfers well onto the watch interface. It's not an app that would work if you only use it on the watch.

11. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

I bought Fantastical for my AW S0 several months ago and it is slower with WOS3, than it was with WOS2. I have it in my dock and I see a spinning icon or a black screen every time I access it from the complication. After it loads from the complication or the dock, the Watch screen is frozen for at least 2-3 seconds before I can scroll past the initial information that is displayed.

I think the Watch app is poorly written because all the other third party apps I use in the dock are very fast with WOS3 on my original AW. (Carrot Weather, United Airlines, CityMapper, TripAdvisor)

I was really hoping WOS3 would improve the dismal performance, but it has not. ☹️

TxWatch

12. Sukach macrumors regular

I definitely notice the lag when opening Fantastical from the complication. Today is my first week at work since getting my AW2, so I'll see how it goes. But, not sure I want to keep my wrist up for the 3-5 seconds it takes for Fantastical to load.

13. redsteeler macrumors member

Can Fantastical cal work on Watch as independed app or Iphone need to be connected as base. I had very strange problem with mentioned app as if i disconnected Iphone (airplane mode) Fantastical on Watch stopped reminding me for the events or remainder. Fantasical under settings have only option made mirror notifications as Iphone vs stock calendar where you can set notification to be managed with the watch itself. Is this te reason why notifications stops working when iphone is disconnected?