Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
S

siderealxxx

Original poster
For all 3G users dissatisfied with location tracking and the new 4.3.3 update which does not address our phone...

Phone Apple and ask to speak to a Customer Relations officer regarding your discontentment with the lack of support for the Location Tracking bug.

I had a positive conversation and I am waiting to hear back within 4 days... the more people who complain the more likely we are to get an official Apple policy response. The advisors I spoke to all took Location Tracking very seriously and understood the problem...

I personally would expect either a 4.2.2 update or a replacement 3GS. If you don't ask, you don't get.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
FAIL thread.

1. iPhone 3G is already beyond the 2 year upgrade cycle.
2. It's a device cache that can only be accessed through getting access to your device or your computer. If someone else has access to your computer, they would get access to more important information.
3. Your location database isn't sent to apple.

S

siderealxxx

Original poster
seems like a poor excuse, piggybacking on the actual problem to get a new phone. am i right?

When combined with the fact that the 3G has been painful to use since iOS4, then it's a good opportunity to address Apple's apparent inability to support previous generation products (remember the PPC transition?)... as consumers we have rights and I fully expect a company like Apple to play fair.

I don't think this request is unreasonable because my 3G is only just over a year old and I have 11 months left on my contract. When I buy something, I don't expect it to no longer function properly after 1 year. The solution was obvious: iOS4 should never have been released for the 3G.

If you don't have a problem with the location tracking issue then thats fine, but for those of us who do (with good reason), Apple will have to see this fix through fully because they know fully well they have made a mistake and there are severe legal consequences.

I'm a big fan of Apple products and have been a long-term user but I'm fed up of being screwed over by their inability to keep up with their own progress at times.

S

siderealxxx

Original poster
FAIL thread.

2. It's a device cache that can only be accessed through getting access to your device or your computer. If someone else has access to your computer, they would get access to more important information.

We'll let the US Senate and various law suits decide what's right and wrong here. The bottom line is they've trodden a very fine legal line with potentially serious consequences. Laws and rights exist for a reason you know... just because something doesn't affect you doesn't mean it's not an issue for others.

EvanLugh

macrumors 68000
Aug 29, 2007
Developer land
don't get me wrong i'm not an uber-fanboy that'll scream extortion, however even on the basis of what you said, you pay for a product: you get that product. They probably shouldn't have released iOS4, but, they did.

Everyone else ponied up.

Apple will have to see this fix through fully because they know fully well they have made a mistake and there are severe legal consequences.
Right, so you're going to demand they change your 2+yr old device because it's (essentially) slow? and happens to fall under the location'gate' crap

and if you're so adament on the 'legal side of things' where are you in this situation and everyone else who's been complaining and not got anywhere? You might want to search as there are plenty of threads covering everything you've said.

S

siderealxxx

Original poster
Right, so you're going to demand they change your 2+yr old device because it's (essentially) slow? and happens to fall under the location'gate' crap

As I said it's 1 year old... and was probably only 6 months old when it was rendered impotent by iOS4 (it was only this time last year remember?). Does that sound fair to you? It's not just slow, certain features are practically unusable.

and if you're so adament on the 'legal side of things' where are you in this situation and everyone else who's been complaining and not got anywhere? You might want to search as there are plenty of threads covering everything you've said.

I'm not sure what your point is here, but believe me I've read all the threads on this. The fact of the matter is I've worked professionally in areas where information relating to location (past, present & future) can put lives at risk -FACT. In the real world (i.e. not on internet forums) there are actual consequences for legitimate individuals and organisations out there (I'm not talking about 'conspiracy theories' either). Why do you think Apple were so quick to rectify this?

EvanLugh

macrumors 68000
Aug 29, 2007
Developer land
As I said it's 1 year old... and was probably only 6 months old when it was rendered impotent by iOS4 (it was only this time last year remember?). Does that sound fair to you? It's not just slow, certain features are practically unusable.

I'm not sure what your point is here, but believe me I've read all the threads on this. The fact of the matter is I've worked professionally in areas where information relating to location (past, present & future) can put lives at risk -FACT. In the real world (i.e. not on internet forums) there are actual consequences for legitimate individuals and organisations out there (I'm not talking about 'conspiracy theories' either). Why do you think Apple were so quick to rectify this?

quick to rectify? no one knew it existed until it was found out (how many years). again, i agree with you on the whole location-debacle, but i can't see you getting a new phone out of it. i wish you every success in getting what you want, however your stance [on the phone itself] is just a bit odd, if not outdated..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.