FAQs - add sticky topics to this forum ?? hmmm

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by SrWebDeveloper, Dec 7, 2008.

1. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Attention all regular contributors to the Web Design & Development forum:

[Lightbulb on!]

How about the regulars come up a few of the most common FAQ's, post them here and ask the mods to set them as sticky to update the ones there/add more?

Why (some background):

To reduce redundancy and help those more efficiently, maybe it's time we created some FAQ's that always list at the top of the topic listing for this forum (sticky). I looked at he FAQ/Rules link in the gray nav bar at top and noticed it's for the entire MacRumors forum. I won't ask them to install a FAQ area just for us. I think, instead, a few more or updated sticky posts at the top of the listing is sufficient, no need for the mods to set up something special... so....

Example FAQ's, sure you have a few of your own or better, this is just to get the wheels spinning in your heads if nothing else:

1) FAQ: iWeb editing and publishing
    2) FAQ: Finding a webhost and/or domain registration and uploading
    3) FAQ: XHTML vs. HTML
    4) FAQ: Using div's and CSS for layout - when NOT to use tables for layout
    5) FAQ: Overview of Mac software for web development and design
    6) FAQ: How to validate your site and why - introduction to the W3C
    7) FAQ: WordPress vs. CMS (Content Management System)
    8) FAQ: How to use PHP/MySQL
    9) FAQ: MAMP - How to install PHP, MySQL, Apache on a Mac

etc... Get the idea? Coming up with good topic titles is important.

It could be as simple as we use this topic I added here to discuss, and in the future come up with FAQ's (posted as new topics) where the subject always starts with the prefix "FAQ:" and then just edit until satisfied. When done the author(s) will ask the mods to sticky them, done.

This topic is merely a proposal for open discussion by all, especially the regulars, before we starting anything. Thank you. :)

-jim

2. MegaMan1311 macrumors regular

Heres some:
    Dealing with Internet Explorer (Some common issues, and fixes)
    Browser Testing - Why a Design should look good in ALL major browsers

I like this project. I'll come up with some more later.

3. theappleguy macrumors 6502

I definitely think there should be several stickies, but not too many (just stickies for topics that come up over and over again, of things people should generally be aware of).

My suggestions would be:

1) Publishing a website using iWeb
    2) Design and hosting options
    3) Coding techniques

However, much of this is already discussed briefly in "Beginning Website Design and Development" and people tend not to read it, so if someone is going to go to the effort of creating more detailed FAQs, everyone really needs to try and remind people to actually read the stickies if these topics come up.

4. SrWebDeveloper thread starter macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

I agree no more than 5 or so.

In a few weeks I'll pick what I consider are the most important ones and then consolidate and trim and ask for feedback on that, adjust as necessary, then proceed by asking contributors to help write the FAQ's. So let's use the next week or two for idea proposals from anyone interested in helping. So far, looks like this is something useful in concept.

-jim

5. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I would like to see more than just iWeb addressed as well. I know that this may be a little too detailed, but I'm sure that comparing and using DW, Expression Web in Windows, RapidWeaver, CSSEdit, etc., gets redundant.

Just my thoughts. Thanks for proposing this Jim, it would be a great resource for me.:)

6. SrWebDeveloper thread starter macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Cool. Could you come up with one or two topic titles that summarizes what you want? The titles are what's going to grab the eye of the user, later we'll narrow it down. Thanks for your feedback!

-jim

7. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I'd love to help out, but please keep in mind - I have had no formal training in this, only dabbled and taught myself using templates, Frontpage, and Expression Web in Windows. I have been using a Mac since February, and have done most of my maintenance in Smultron, just editing code. I have my own server and run my own websites (about 10 of them) for my company. Just some background on me, so that you'll know that some of my suggestions may not make complete sense!:eek:

I'm interested in:
    • WYSIWYG editors - Features, Problems, Comparisons, etc. Which is the best for my situation?
    • PHP, CSS Code Editors - Beginners, Intermediate, Expert
    • Organization and documentation before getting started with a site
    I like all of the suggestions made so far as well.

Wow, you've taken on a project, Jim! Let me know if I can help. I have a background in project management and systems analysis and design. This sounds like fun to me.:p

8. SrWebDeveloper thread starter macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

It won't be just me - we'll narrow it down to 5 or so, then the regulars (you and anyone else willing, i.e. thanks for volunteering, heh) will write a few paragraphs and include links and we'll help each other. We're not writing manuals, believe me. It's not hard to to and only a little time consuming up front, imagine how much time we all save in the long run by just referring users to the sticky topic instead of saying the same thing over and over.

Thanks for your ideas, I'll check back here in a week or so and start narrowing the selection down. For now, anyone else reading, all we need is topic titles.

-jim

9. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Once this gets going I'll probably throw in my advice/opinions, but I have a number of personal projects that I'm already doing, so I just tend to focus directly on people's questions here. I do like the idea of taking the FAQ further. It would give an easier way to link people to existing solutions that we've already written so we don't have to repeat solutions as much as we're already doing.