OS X Far Cry 4 not working through Parallels 10

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by TJ82, Dec 9, 2014.

1. TJ82 macrumors 6502a

TJ82

Works fine in Bootcamp but I get a blank screen as it tries to load when trying in P10. Is it hard to get games to work in Parallels in general? (I'm new to the software, always used Bootcamp before)

2. Irishman, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2014

Irishman macrumors 68030

What would be the advantage to running such a demanding title in virtualization?

3. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

If it does not run under Parallels then Bootcamp is the way to go I am afraid, I now use both. I try Parallels first if the game does not run then its over to Bootcamp.

I have tried and tried to find a site that deals with what games run and what game do not under Parallels but as yest have not found one, so it is trail and error.

This may help to give parallels a little more grunt but not much, but a little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv5fnoCZbps

4. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

It's a waste of time trying to get a modern AAA game, especially a new release, to run in a virtual environment. Even if you managed to get it to run, performance is almost certainly going to be so poor as to make it unplayable. Best to stick to Boot Camp in these situations.

5. TJ82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TJ82

Thanks for the link. I'm going to have another go and try to optimise everything for it. But yeah, maybe I'll have to pass on this game until time allows me to switch over to Bootcamp and play it like that. I had Streetfighter 4 running on it smoothly which is why I took a punt on FC4.

That's what I was thinking, but it's been so long since I've tried I thought I'd dip my toe in and see how things have advanced. FWIW, Parallels in coherence mode is really impressive. Everything's smooth even with loads of apps running on OS X and Windows. I'm not able to spend long periods in Bootcamp these days so I haven't been gaming for over a year.. do miss it a bit :D

The same as any other undemanding title, which is why virtualization has a market :confused: Peculiar thing to ask.

6. Irishman macrumors 68030

TJ, that didn't answer my question, though.

I'm truly puzzled.

7. TJ82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TJ82

Ah I see. Maybe you're quite young, apologies if I sounded harsh on you.

Well there are a number of scenarios where a user either needs or prefers virtualisation. In the needs category you have users who work on OS X but would like to also work (eg. CAD) on a Windows app or game, intermittently.

Other users fall into the preference category, where they simply would prefer not to have the inconvenience of having to boot back and forth into Windows to access different apps or games. Users may download on OS X and those downloads would stop while they're in Bootcamp.

Those are two of the basic situations, but it's as limitless, or limited, as your imagination or life experience.

Hope that helps.

8. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

The other side of virtualization is in that the bigger and beefier your machine the better it will run things.

9. TJ82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TJ82

Yeah that's the crux of the issue I guess. I can see guys on YouTube playing AAA titles on earlier versions of Parallel. It's all relative to your hardware.

I've noticed since making the thread that there is a setting which seems to be limiting my RAM for the virtual machine to 1GB. There is a slider for it, but it's greyed out. Need to find out how to move that then try again :D

10. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Open Parallels Desktop but do not start windows, click in the window then you can get into all the configure settings from the menu bar.

11. TJ82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TJ82

Awesome cheers! Will try it in a bit :)

12. Irishman macrumors 68030

Thanks for that, TJ. By the way, why do you assume I'm young just because I didn't understand why you preferred virtualization for Far Cry 4?

13. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

Lol, it only takes a few seconds to boot into Bootcamp and back. Plus all your OSX windows will open right back anyway.

Nevertheless, in the world of convinience and instant noodles, I catch your drift. Let us know how things work out for you.

14. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Very good description :)

15. TJ82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TJ82

No you really didn't. Best to clear this up.

The point/reality isn't remotely about boot speed. It's about the time you spend on the Windows app or game. During that time any process you have ongoing on OS X would be killed off. Crucially, if you're on a platform, such as Citrix (say to use something like Aladdin), you would be completely offline and unavailable to colleagues and data. Wholly unacceptable.

It's not merely inconvenient, it would be the difference between being able to get work done or not so for many.

When I was a student for example, I wouldn't have have had any issue with Bootcamping. Actually I loved it when it was released, especially coming from being around in the pre-Intel days. Circumstances change however, and work becomes a priority. As much as I love gaming, it's simply not something I can dedicate a lot of time too any more, even at the weekends - I'm sure a lot of guys will relate to that as they get into their late 20s and beyond. If it's doing a little gaming on your phone or having something running in the background and occasionally making a little progress throughout the day then yes, that would be ideal. But to shutdown everything you're doing, losing access to your colleagues and having to re-input tokens to get access when you're expected to be responsive is for the birds.

The suggestion that it's about instant gratification or boot speed is trite.

16. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

When you're expected to be responsive, you shouldn't be trying to play games.

17. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Don't try and virtualise a game. It will only result in a subpar experience. Especially with Ubisoft games that struggle to run natively, never mind virtualised. Cut out the folly and get the game installed on Bootcamp.

18. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

Far Cry 4 requires DirectX11, Parallels only supports up to DX10.

19. TJ82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TJ82

What sense does that make. You can do any number of things and respond when alerted. :rolleyes:

Typical drivel from someone with absolutely no real life experience and their head in the clouds.

----------

Brill thanks! Was wondering why it wouldn't load. :)

This guys, is how you answer a straightforward question. Bow your heads in shame :D

20. Irishman macrumors 68030

No, bow YOUR head in shame, as you tried to run a game without checking its requirements in virtualization first!

Now, how are you ever gonna live, having to dual-boot natively into Windows?!?

21. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

No Irishman you should bow your head in shame! Perhaps its possible he didn't know Parallels needed support for versions of DirectX and therefore wasn't aware this was something that needed to be checked?

He did indeed ask a simple question which required a simple straightforward answer to resolve his predicament.

22. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

There are two of them here who continually post replies like that, may have to start using the ignore function in future.

----------

Did you get your config sorted out ?

23. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

24. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac