Far Cry Free Download

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Erasmus, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=42069

This looks interesting, but before I use my entire month's download cache to get this thing...

http://www.gamershell.com/news/41339.html

Here it mentions I need a ubi.com account (I imagine it's a 2 second job) and that I need to live in the US. I live in Australia. Anyone who lives in Australia and has faster broadband than me want to give it a shot?

Might finally have found something worthy of running on my new MBP...

2. TIGOS macrumors regular

TIGOS

3. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

whats ADS? anyway i would but my connection is way to slow(1mbps). i would love to hear how people like this so i can justify the long download.

4. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

That is not so bad, FarCry would only take about 6 hours to download. Just leave it dling overnight or while you are at school/work.

Far Cry is a great game, I'm just wondering why its just a 2.68GB download and I'm worried about the ads, the retail game weighed in at 3.5GB. Definitely worth downloading.

I'm gonna download Rayman, thats the only game they've released for free that I haven't played yet and I always loved those little rabbids :)

P.S: If you are not in the US, couldn't you just create an UBI account and select the US as your country?

5. takao macrumors 68040

takao

correct according to the internet

i'm gonna download next week when the servers are under less load

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

About bloody time! Ad supported games were always going to be a good thing so long as the game was free. Which is why I'm not too keen on this whole CS:S or even Xbox Live showing ads, yet not making it free for us...

7. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

When you download is it supposd to be a 2.6 gb .pl file?

8. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

Should be a .zip file. Try and extract it using some kind of compressed file extractor like stuffit and see if it works.

9. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Never mind. It was something with safari. Worked fine on Tiger. ;) :)

10. X-Morgan macrumors member

So just to make sure that this works on OS X too? Or was that a stupid question?

Is BootCamp needed?

Chris

11. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Yes BootCamp is needed. Windows only, unfortunately.

12. iProd macrumors regular

iProd

I have played this ad version, and to you nay-sayers the ads in the game are NOT BAD AT ALL! All there is is a 15second ad at the begininning when you first load up, and then some ads on the main menu, and on the load screens occasionally. It's nothing at all for being a full free game. I love it :>

13. Erasmus thread starter macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Awesome. Now I just have to wait 3 weeks until just before my downloads get refreshed. Hopefully by that time, I'll be able to download it without too much trouble.

14. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

i might DL it at school. we have a 15mb quota each day, but the internet is super fast and we can go way over the quota, so long as it is in one download!

15. jdechko macrumors 68040

Too true, I've always wanted to completely play the game, but my funds are limited (ie: $0) so I admit that I'd downloaded it before and played a bit before uninstalling. Now I can play without feeling guilty and if the ads aren't really intrusive, then I don't have a problem. It's like over the air TV - with ads, I expect free; but if I paid, I'd expect no ads at all.

16. StuAff macrumors member

StuAff

An FYI for anyone outside the U.S.....don't bother. The installer needs a ubi.com account, from U.S. residents only. Pathetic.

17. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Just create a new one and select the US as your country. It is that simple.

Most of the ads apply to the UK too so you aren't doing anything wrong, morally or legally.

18. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Umm... I've been trying to install for hours and the darn ubi.com thing insists that I am not sitting at my desk in California, USA. :mad:

I've created two different accounts now ant ensured that they are set to US. Help? :eek:

19. Erasmus thread starter macrumors 68030

Erasmus

So, if someone living outside of the US manages to get it working, give us a yell, alright?

The second point is has anyone got it running on a 2.2 MBP, and if so, how does it run? I would imagine it will run well on med, possibly high settings...

20. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

if I'm living within the US and not able to make it work then how the heck are people supposed to make it work outside it?

Dang ubisoft. It's like when they released SCDA with much fanfare about how it was designed from the ground up to take advantage of multi-core machines and all that, and then when it comes time to play you have to turn one of them off to make the game run at all. :rolleyes: :mad:

21. jeff303 macrumors newbie

But in this case showing ads probably reduces the price they charge (think subsidy). Would you rather pay $15 and see ads or pay $30 and see no ads?

22. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

23. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

My understanding from a couple of other forums is that none of the 3 or 4 free games, (Prince of Persia: Sands of Time; FarCry; Ghost Recon; Rayman Raving Rabbits) are not installing right now. The rumor is that they are fixing the lack of multiplayer in farcry (online serial is not included but is needed for that portion) and looking into ip blocking non US locations. I would imagine if this experiment works they would want to sell ads in parts of the world that are more targeted, no point in having subway sponsor a game if they don't exist in that country.

The error everyone is getting is that the installer is not located in the US, even if you are. I found this info on the prince of persia sands of time ubi forums, but have not found an actual press release about the problems.

24. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Thanks for the info. I thought I was going crazy for a moment! :eek:

25. fblack macrumors 6502a

fblack

From fileplanet: