Far Cry on SR MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by XTRanger, Aug 19, 2008.

1. XTRanger macrumors member

I have a 2.4 SR MBP. I recently installed Far Cry computer game on my Windows XP bootcamp partition.

Since then on, not once have I been able to play the game for more than 5 minutes. The game runs great when it does, but all of a sudden, the whole thing freezes up and I have to perform a hard reboot.

my computer exceeds the recommended system requirements, but still the game doesn't work as it is supposed to. one of my computer buddies told me that it could possibly be due to a faulty graphics chip in my computer.

What do you guys think?

2. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

It might be an overheating GPU, but I don't think so... that would generally make the computer shut off or restart.

I had the same problem as you do with my Toshiba laptop, only it was Jedi Knight II, not Far Cry. It was weird, because it ran find for like two years before it would just randomly lock up in JK2. Oddly, no other game, even Jedi Academy (based on JK2 engine) had this problem.

I tried reinstalling but that didn't help.

You could try reinstalling.. perhaps it will work for you.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You may get more responses if you post in the right forum. Apple Games will have more posters who have experience with games on the MBP. Searching the forums may also give you answers you're looking for.

4. mrblu macrumors newbie

I have the same computer as you. Far Cry (Best game ever) runs great BUT does crash sometimes!! Not as often as you describe, but it does crash. I've just accepted it as the universe's way of telling me to get on with my 'real' life, and get off the computer. Is your machine REALLY hot when it quits? Mine always is. I've ordered an ilap for it in the hope that the heat is the reason for the crashes. GL

MrBlu

5. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

though i dont have it installed at the moment, i never had a problem with crashing in Far Cry... are there updates for it and did you install them already?

also try downloading drivers from http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

make sure you download the right version for your OS and the modded inf file.

6. XTRanger thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys, but the updated drivers/ game patch doesnt make a difference. I tried to play another game- Return to Castle Wolfenstein. It is a reaaaaly old game, so I was sure that there won't be any issues.

But same- after a couple of minutes into the game, the computer freezes, exactly the same way as Far Cry. The frame freezes, and the audio has a buzz.

The fans run terribly fast, and I would guess that the laptop gets really hot.

I am playing the game on 22" external monitor. I am thinking of removing all unnecessary peripherals and just trying to use the laptop screen to play.

7. XTRanger thread starter macrumors member

sorry to bump this thread up, but i was wondering if anyone else had any ideas- the problem still persists and there is not a single game I can run.

Are there any graphically intensive Mac games that i can try to see if the problem happens again?

8. greenythebeast macrumors regular