Farewell 5s.. will you miss the iPhone 5s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Appl3FTW, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

the iphone 5s days are counted... it surely is a great device, best S series upgrade ever. in 2-3 weeks i will say goodbye to you friend. who will miss it?

2. Paulshaqz macrumors 6502a

giving mine in on friday i say probably not. i could be wrong though.

3. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

Nope, didn't even want it in the first place. I loved the curved edges on the 5c and 3GS so this will be a wonderful upgrade.

4. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

I've already sold my 5S...good riddens.

It's nice to see Apple overcome their fears and finally build modern phones.

I'll try the iPhone plus and see how it stacks up to other smartphones.

5. Tubamajuba macrumors 68020

What was Apple afraid of, and how on earth would you not classify the 5s as a modern smartphone? It runs the latest version of iOS with the latest apps on a fast 64-bit processor and powerful GPU.

For that matter, would you consider the iPhone 6/6+ a modern smartphone if it turns out that Apple only included 1GB of RAM?

6. stickybuns macrumors 6502

FYI: The 5S is still for sale. $149 for the 32GB model and $99 for the 16GB model.

7. lysola macrumors member

I'm one of those guys who's always a phone behind, so with the announcement of 6 means I'll probably upgrade to the 5S next time my contract expires. Doubt I'm going to want to make the jump to the 6 or + but I guess I'll see in a year.

8. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

i know but im talking about current iphone 5s owners upgrading to the 6/6+

----------

awww.. no love for the 5S.. as for me.. it's technically technologically the same as the 6. feature wise just in a lower scale.. i.e. it has retina 64bit Achip with M coprocessor, and touchID. so in a sense, it started the wave of new phones for apple. it would be a nice "downgrade" and change if i wanna change up a bit one day from the rounded smaller device from the 6+.

9. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

It's called personal preference and usage requirements.

RAM no longer matters, Apple lives to sell the latest, they don't care about anything but profit. It's normal.

I've got 3GB of RAM and terrific performance from my Note 3. Smaller, lighter, with a larger display than iPhone 6, it's ideal for my needs.

To satisfy my curiosity, I'll also buy an iPhone 6 Plus just to find out via first hand experience what it's like. It's as simple as that.

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

11. Izauze macrumors 6502

I liked the 5. 5S was a pretty minor upgrade, but same nice form factor.

I will be glad to finally get something big enough to browse the web semi-comfortably on though.

...And I certainly won't miss the scuffs.

12. Daniel3102 macrumors 6502

Yes, I will really miss the iPhone 5s. I own a 5s and will keep it until 2016, but its sad that it isn't the flagship iPhone anymore. I do believe that the 5s is a future-proof phone and I think it'll stick around in iOS update for years to come :D It is a great phone that truly ushered the age of 64 bit CPUs in mobile phones. It was, and is, a trend setter. Lets not forget that the 5s was the first to have legendary features like the 64 bit A7, true tone flash and TOUCH ID!! This phone pioneered the future of the iPhone. Every iPhone from now on will have touch ID, 64 bit CPUs and a true tone flash! And the 5s was the FIRST to have them! I even think that the 5s will compete with the iPhone 6!

Bottom line, I believe that the 5s should, and will, go into iPhone history as one of the true Apple innovations that set new trends and set new standards in iPhones.

13. Tubamajuba macrumors 68020

A phone not meeting your needs has nothing to do with whether or not it is modern, though. And I don't think Apple cares any more or less about profit than any other smartphone manufacturer, they just prefer to make more profit per unit as opposed to thinner margins on increased volume.

But yes, personal preference is everything. Nobody else can tell you what device is best for you.

14. Dreamliner330 macrumors 6502a

Not a chance. Apple needs more ram to power through the new iOS 7/8 sludge. I hope they learned their lesson from the 5s.

15. AmazingGraceTx macrumors regular

AmazingGraceTx

I'm the same way. I have a 16 GB iPhone 5. I'm within a couple of months of paying it off. So I'm going to move to a 5S in 32 GB. It has eveything I need and I have no desire to move up to the 6 yet. I'll leave the newest to the rest of y'all!

16. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

Never underestimate Apples devotion to profits, they've got shareholders to please and the personal desire to milk every last cent out of the customer.

While every publicly traded company is profit centric, none of them are as ruthless & skilled as Apple at squeezing the suppliers & customers.

Apples bottom line proves it.

17. I7guy macrumors P6

18. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

That would be the 3GS, actually. It had by far the most upgrades from the prior generation of any of the S series updates.

19. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I'm planning on getting the 6+, but if I had the extra cash, I'd like to also purchase a Gold 5S 32GB. I see it went on sale for $550 at the Apple Store, or even. a white 5C for $450, to have a 4" screen. Or get both the 6 and 6+. What to do?

20. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

Won't sell. I'll still have mine even after I get the iPhone 6. This reminds me, have you decided which color yet? :p

21. Tubamajuba macrumors 68020

So Apple does what every publicly traded company does, but does it better.

Every company is in it for money, like you said. But we're the ones that enable it. Apple is doing far more things right than wrong, and they're being rewarded for it.

22. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

I'm keeping my gold 5s too for my collection... I think I'm going for space gray:)