Farewell all non-usb c/thunderbolt ports

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ag29, Oct 27, 2016.

1. ag29 macrumors 6502

I found the HDMI port and the SD card slot to be very useful. Now I have to use adapters for both..

I have no need for 4 USB C/thunderbolt ports..

Anyone else going to miss all the old ports? I don't understand why it's always necessary for Apple to get rid of commonly used ports with every new device just because they have "courage".

The headphone jack is the only remaining thing Apple decided to keep.

2. adamjackson macrumors 65816

Was going to post this.

I'm on a 15" Retina MacBook Pro. 8 Ports
    HDMI
    Thunderbolt x2
    SD
    USB x2
    MagSafe
    Audio In/Out

Now, we just get 4 ports and one is for charging.

I plug in:
    Display (HDMI)
    Thunderbolt to Ethernet Adapter
    Thunderbolt to Mini Display Port Adapter
    USB Keyboard
    USB Mouse
    Headphones

My company supplied peripherals are ergonomic due to my carpal tunnel and they don't give me bluetooth options so I'm fully maxed out on ports.

3. Poly macrumors 6502

I'm really thinking about getting a 2015 Pro or maybe a maxed out regular Air instead of the new Pro because of this. I just can't spend another 200€ for USB C adapters....my work and private desktop PCs are all USB A as well as ALL my peripherals.

4. ag29 thread starter macrumors 6502

There is a way to get more ports using various adapters, it just will cost money and makes it kind of annoying because now you will always need to mess around with adapters.

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-USB-C-Digital-Multiport-Adapter/dp/B00VU2K10G This adapter transforms one USB-c port into a USB-c port plus an HDMI output and a USB output.

5. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

You really are missing the point. Everything you mention can either go directly into the monitor, or you can buy a single dongle for most of those things, and suddenly you have 2 or 3 ports available.

6. adamjackson macrumors 65816

I know there are docks & dongles & switches & hubs available. My point is, this was a Pro laptop. look at the PowerBook G4's port lineup. It had ports down the entire side of the computer.

I miss those days.

7. Macalway macrumors 68000

fact: dongles suck

we need pure cable solutions.

8. jerry16 macrumors regular

jerry16

Yeah, it really seems like the whole port thing as of late has been a lot of just doing something to do it. I can appreciate being the driving force for change, but can't there be a happy medium for at least a generation or two while the rest of the industry catches up?

9. elf69 macrumors 65816

elf69

I cannot afford a new macbook but IF I could for me at least it would not be too big an issue.

Work printers are on network, which my macbook is wifi.
    My external HDD at home can be put of wifi as have that function on my router.

I do not use external keyboard and mouse or monitor.

I know we are not all in same situation as me.
    Be nice if they kept even one usb 3.0 type A

10. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I'm singing love songs to my 2015 MBP right now.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I cannot and will not justify spending 2,400 dollars on a laptop - just call me silly but I don't think its worth that much money.

12. raymond7 macrumors member

Amen

13. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I too love my 2015 MBP and will hold onto it for as long as I can. I paid $2399 for it and the new ones are priced much higher for the 512GB 16GB model. I'm not ready to move on from USB 3.0 ports or anything else the new MBPs have.