Farewell Rosie the Riveter

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Sydde, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Mary Doyle Keefe, the model that Norman Rockwell used to paint the Saturday Evening Post cover featuring "Rosie the Riveter", has put away her tools for the last time at age 92. (The person believed to have been depicted in the classic poster left us about 5 years ago.)

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Wow, I just read an interview with her last year! R.I.P., Rosie. This makes me pretty sad. The curtain is rapidly closing on the Greatest Generation. I wonder if young people today can even conceive of the sacrifices made by their great-grandparents (or great-great these days)?

Thanks for the article.

P.S. Norman Rockwell still receives heaps of scorn from the Art Elite for being a mere "illustrator" but I think he was a fantastic artist.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Thanks for posting this most interesting story.

Actually, that is an iconic image from the period of the Second World War, an era that seems ever more distant.

Where was the interview published?

Re the 'Greatest Generation', theirs was a very different mindset to much of what we see today. Much of the time, they rarely spoke about it, and were reserved and taciturn about events and invariably modest about their achievements.

In my case, I was very fortunate as I had the privilege to meet and talk with quite a few, but usually only because someone I knew (say, their children, or grandchildren, or my mother, knew them) had persuaded them to talk, and they, themselves, were usually at quite an advanced age when they agreed to do so.

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I can't remember, I read it online somewhere. However, now that I think the interview might have been with the actual Rosie (the model for the famous poster below) rather than Rockwell's model.

Attached Files:

5. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

That Rosie is kind of a guess, but the woman they think whose picture was used finally hung up her tool belt five years ago, so if you read an interview done last year, it would have been with this lass.

Oddly, the "We Can Do It!" Rosie married a guy named Doyle, while the Saturday Evening Post Rosie's maiden name was Doyle.

6. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Was just reading about this. Very sad....

RIP Mary "Rosie the Riveter" Keefe