Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
I just had my first taste of milk right off the farm...I guess it could be called "Organic", came in half gallon glass bottles...Have to say the taste was pretty incredible..Much fresher, and creamier tasting than regular store bought milk...

If your a milk fan and havent tried this you have to...

No1451

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Ottawa, ON
And unless I am mistaken from the days spent on my uncle's farm, its close to 5% fat content.

But still crazy delicious, and an experience that everyone should have once.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
In HS, I worked on a dairy farm. Butterfat content depends in part to the type of milk cows in the herd.

One of the fringe benefits was all the whole milk that we wanted.

Wonderful home made ice cream can be made fun whole milk. Yum! :)

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Well, what I had was supposed to be 2% milk...but it tasted alot richer than typical store bought 2%...

No1451

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Didn't know that about the fat content, my uncle never let me near the animals(one of them hit me in the chest with its head, almost broke some ribs, no idea why). What I do remember is he has holsteins, the typical black/white ones, and some Jersey's.

What about baking with whole milk? Does it make any difference to the taste?

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Well, what I had was supposed to be 2% milk...but it tasted alot richer than typical store bought 2%...
More than likely it was higher than 2%

Didn't know that about the fat content, my uncle never let me near the animals(one of them hit me in the chest with its head, almost broke some ribs, no idea why). What I do remember is he has holsteins, the typical black/white ones, and some Jersey's.
Holsteins generally have low butterfat content. Where as Jerseys generally have high butterfat content.

Definitely need to know what you are doing around cattle and other farm animals. One key, is to not be afraid -- animals can smell fear.

What about baking with whole milk? Does it make any difference to the taste?
I would say so, but I'm a bit biased. :)

No1451

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Yeah my uncle had Jersey's as well, not so many as he had Holsteins though, I think he used the Holsteins for his own milk(he seems to love the richer fattier milk).

I was in my uncle's barn, walking around and watching the animals, and I guess I got too close:). I was only about 10 at the time, so my reasons were fairly dumb likely.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Yeah my uncle had Jersey's as well, not so many as he had Holsteins though, I think he used the Holsteins for his own milk(he seems to love the richer fattier milk).
Probably the other way around as Jerseys have a higher butterfat content.

Most herds that I've seen are holstein. For those who want a little higher butterfat content, they mix in a few Jerseys.

I was in my uncle's barn, walking around and watching the animals, and I guess I got too close:). I was only about 10 at the time, so my reasons were fairly dumb likely.
No, not dumb at all.

Dealing with a 2,000 pound animal that doesn't share your view on what he is supposed to do is not always the easiest thing. :p

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
We have a dairy that delivers near us. We had them bring a couple of gallons of skim each week (I was raised on skim). And even that tasted so much better than what you get in the store. If this economy ever turns around, I'll restart our delivery.

mt

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I don't think I could have milk straight from the cow, one of my parents had some from a family farm in Poland, said it was all warm and such.
Even then I think I'd only have it after cleaning. Or maybe I just listening to one too many anti-milk people.

*I love shop bought milk, full fat if possible :3

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I'm pretty much milk dependent.
Snort!

We have a dairy that delivers near us. We had them bring a couple of gallons of skim each week (I was raised on skim). And even that tasted so much better than what you get in the store. If this economy ever turns around, I'll restart our delivery.
I wonder how they processed the milk to provide skim milk.

It's been years since I worked on a dairy. At that time, the milk went into a holding tank and every day or two, depending on the size of the dairy, the milk truck would come and take away the contents and move them to a processing place.

I don't think I could have milk straight from the cow
It's fun. Especially when squired right into your mouth from the tit. :)

A good milker can squirt a few feet with bulls eye accuracy.

Or maybe I just listening to one too many anti-milk people.
Probably.

*I love shop bought milk, full fat if possible :3
What I like in Japan, is that you can get milk with differing butterfat content such percentages as 0, 1.0, 1.5, 1.8, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, 4.4, 4.5, etc.

Really convenient. :)

LeahM

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2008
A university a couple hours away did a study and said that unprocessed milk doesn't have the same effect on someone who is lactose-intolerant. So I've always wanted to try it. I love milk but it has a bad effect on me.

hmmfe

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2003
I believe that before the milk is homogenized, they remove the cream, which is sold separately. What's left is skim milk.

mt

Basically correct, but all of the fat is separated from the milk and re-added to to produce the 1%, 2%, etc. More interesting, they have bred cows that produce 1% butterfat milk so no additional processing is required.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Off topic, but how much does milk cost in Japan? Is it as expensive as beef?
I hate to say, but I don't pay that close attention to the price.

I would say per liter around 150 to 250 yen depending on the brand and butterfat content.

I believe that before the milk is homogenized, they remove the cream, which is sold separately. What's left is skim milk.
Interesting.

So they actually process the milk at the dairy these days.

In the old days, processing was done at a different place.

Basically correct, but all of the fat is separated from the milk and re-added to to produce the 1%, 2%, etc. More interesting, they have bred cows that produce 1% butterfat milk so no additional processing is required.
Farm technology has sure changed since I lived on the farm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.