Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Allistah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2019
Bay Area, CA
Hey all,

I have a 2.5" 1TB Samsung 860 EVO drive that I need a small (and fast) case for. I can't stomach giving Apple $400+ after tax for an upgrade from 512GB to a 1TB drive in this new MBP I just got yesterday. I have a drive (mentioned above) and I have a case already which is the Sobrent (I think it's called) but it has the old USB-A style connector (connected to the MBP via a A style to C style converter dongle). I transferred some files to some other 120GB drive in that case and it took quite a while so I'm not sure if its the case that was the bottleneck or the drive. I can't try the 1TB Samsung (yet) as it's still in my old MBP.

Is there a small little enclosure that's Thunderbolt 3 or a really fast USB standard that is known to work well (and fast) with the ports on the 2018 MBP? Trying to bridge the gap of not having a 1TB drive in this thing and searching the forums wasn't very clear on what I was looking for. Any input would be appreciated - thank you!
[doublepost=1556123740][/doublepost]Just a quick follow up.. thinking about giving this one a try:

Mediasonic USB-C USB Type C 2.5” SATA SSD/Hard Drive Enclosure – USB 3.1 GEN-II 10Gbps Optimized for SSD and UASP Support (HDM-U31C) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074N95HFW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_dajWCbYKNWPWP
[doublepost=1556125233][/doublepost]Or this one, seems that there aren't many USB-C Gen 2 enclosures to choose from: https://www.amazon.com/Nekteck-Transparent-Plastic-Enclosure-Adapter/dp/B07169C4BG

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
There’s no point with a USB 3.1Gen2 enclosure for a SATA drive, I doubt you’ll see any real world difference from a regular USB 3.0/3.1Gen1 case.
[doublepost=1556126933][/doublepost]Definitely no point to thunderbolt for it unless you want to daisy chain from it

Allistah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2019
Bay Area, CA
There’s no point with a USB 3.1Gen2 enclosure for a SATA drive, I doubt you’ll see any real world difference from a regular USB 3.0/3.1Gen1 case.
[doublepost=1556126933][/doublepost]Definitely no point to thunderbolt for it unless you want to daisy chain from it

Ah, this is exactly why I posted. I already have that Sabrent drive enclosure so maybe I'll just use that for now.

So to get the speed out of an external drive you really need to get an all in one type unit that just plugs in (can't swap the drive out)? I'm guessing because there is no SATA III interface to slow things down or something?

Thanks for the info!

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
So to get the speed out of an external drive you really need to get an all in one type unit that just plugs in (can't swap the drive out)? I'm guessing because there is no SATA III interface to slow things down or something?

Even “all in one” drives from eg wd or LaCie or Samsung or whoever are just a drive in a case. The only real point to a 3.1Gen2 interface is for either a device with multiple sata drives, or a non sata drive eg an NVMe ssd. But most NVMes will saturate a 3.1Gen2 port so then you are likely to benefit from Thunderbolt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.