Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Something I didn’t know for fast charging that the cable had to be capable as well.

I had bought an InCharge 6 max cable, basically has adapters on both ends for USB A or USB-C to lightning, MicroUSB and USB-C. Everything covered so I thought.

I had an Apple 18W USB-C for fast charging. However noticed it didn’t seem to be and when looking InCharge actually have another version, the max, which says “has 100W fast charging” whereas the InCharge 6 version states for lightning from a USB-C source is 5V 2A.

So….I’ve ordered a Native Union Belt universal as the InCharge max was too much. This has a USB A input though. So my question is, can I use an adapter like the below to convert it from USB A to USB-C and still get fast charging? Or will the adapter negate this? If so I’ll still use this and use original Apple USB-C to lightning, but just for travelling/sharing charger be easier.

Numerati

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2021
Orlando, FL
Something I didn’t know for fast charging that the cable had to be capable as well.

I had bought an InCharge 6 max cable, basically has adapters on both ends for USB A or USB-C to lightning, MicroUSB and USB-C. Everything covered so I thought.

I had an Apple 18W USB-C for fast charging. However noticed it didn’t seem to be and when looking InCharge actually have another version, the max, which says “has 100W fast charging” whereas the InCharge 6 version states for lightning from a USB-C source is 5V 2A.

So….I’ve ordered a Native Union Belt universal as the InCharge max was too much. This has a USB A input though. So my question is, can I use an adapter like the below to convert it from USB A to USB-C and still get fast charging? Or will the adapter negate this? If so I’ll still use this and use original Apple USB-C to lightning, but just for travelling/sharing charger be easier.

The USB-A connection you have in the adapter will not allow higher charge to pass through. You need a usb-c to lightening cable with no connections in between to achieve the fast charging.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
The USB-A connection you have in the adapter will not allow higher charge to pass through. You need a usb-c to lightening cable with no connections in between to achieve the fast charging.

Ah ok, pity was hoping this cable would have been a good fit. It states “high speed charging” when I’ve looked again, what does this mean? What’s the max out of a USB A then on say the Native union 20W smart charger, similar? Is it max 2.4A? Found a similar dual port Belkin one, states the USB A is 12W.

I’ll have to carry the USB-C to lightning as well then if so.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.