Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Rumors suggest Apple will bundle a faster 18W power adapter with its next-generation iPhones, expected to be unveiled this September, but third-party fast charger compatibility may be limited.

2018-iphones-fast-charger-c-auth-800x503.jpg

Japanese blog Mac Otakara, citing information from suppliers, claims that third-party fast chargers may require USB-C Authentication [PDF] certification, or C-AUTH, to charge the 2018 lineup of iPhones at full speeds. Otherwise, the iPhones may display a warning, and limit charging speeds to a max of 2.5W.

USB-C Authentication is intended to protect against non-compliant USB chargers and to mitigate risks from maliciously embedded hardware or software in USB devices, so core to Apple, this seems to be all about extra security.

Apple is one of over 1,000 member companies of the USB Implementers Forum, so USB-compliant fast chargers are available from a wide variety of brands. Before purchasing a random fast charger from the likes of Amazon, though, it may be a good idea to check the list to see if the company is in fact a member.

Article Link: Fast Chargers May Require USB-C Authentication to Work at Full Speed With 2018 iPhones

dantroline

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2016
Apple locking users into expensive cables and chargers again!

Although from a safety perspective I can understand why they are following this route too!
Why can't you just decide to tell the phone to charge unless you want to tether? Unlock to set. Surely in that situation the USB port is safe? My Android phone does that. Am I missing something?

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
This is fine with me...as long as Apple's existing USB-C chargers are already compliant. This will be extremely stupid if the 29w charger I have for fast charging my iPad won't work for fast charging on a new iPhone. It is already incredibly stupid how much I have to swap around cables between lighting/USB-C for my latest Apple hardware.

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
Why can't you just decide to tell the phone to charge unless you want to tether? Unlock to set. Surely in that situation the USB port is safe? My Android phone does that. Am I missing something?
If I understand correctly, it is the embedded MFI chip-set in the Lightning-side of the USB-C-Lightning cable that provides such authentication. And Apple is the only one that provides such cable.

Maybe that is Why?

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I don’t think this is the popular opinion - but I agree with what’s being said in the article.

I feel it’s best to be safe when it comes to power and charging.

Just my use pattern, but I only ever charge my iPhone overnight, and 5W is more than enough for that daily recharge.

I can absolutely appreciate faster charging, but I think one should be careful with chargers and cables for this use. I do think Apple should have decently priced USB-C fast chargers for those who’d like to make use of it.

Pupi

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2015
Ah, yes, security reasons. Specifically, the security of being able to charge $10 / piece for an encryption key.
Apple MFI certification is already done on the charging cable. This is about limiting fast charging on the powerbrick side of things to authorized and safe chargers. C-AUTH isn’t an Apple standard nor uses an Apple chip or results in a royalty paid to Apple.

-Pupi

bennyf

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2011
USA
Apple shouldn't roll their own, if auth is part of the USB-C spec then great. If it's not part of the spec Apple shouldn't do it. If it needs to be added to the spec, Apple has enough leverage to make that happen. But any cert fees should go to the consortium not Apple.

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
There will be the MFI chip in the lightning end of the cable that will identify the cable as being able to handle the charging current. Then the phone will handshake with the charger to identify it as genuine Apple high speed phone charger.
Apple could just design their phones with a better USB/power chip than the NXP/Tristar.

JRobinsonJr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2015
Arlington, Texas
For people's own safety so they don't catch malware.

Yeah... but there is an easy way to fix that WITHOUT locking out 3rd party chargers: require specific user authentication to enable DATA in addition to CHARGE.

Thus:

(1) Plug into any charger and get power
(2) IF you also want to transfer data, unlock the phone and choose "OK" to enable data transfer
(3) Optionally enable THIS DEVICE to always permit data

Problem solved... without vendor lock.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place

Although from a safety perspective I can understand why they are following this route too!
Are you confusing C-AUTH with MFi? One has nothing to do with the other.

Apple loses either way: if they do this, people will complain that Apple is being closed as usual.

If they don’t and iPhones start exploading because of possible uncertified shady chargers, then Apple gets the heat as well.
Closed how? Plenty of companies offer accessories that meet C-AUTH specifications. That has nothing to do with Apple.
[doublepost=1532354111][/doublepost]
Yeah... but there is an easy way to fix that WITHOUT locking out 3rd party chargers: require specific user authentication to enable DATA in addition to CHARGE.

Thus:

(1) Plug into any charger and get power
(2) IF you also want to transfer data, unlock the phone and choose "OK" to enable data transfer
(3) Optionally enable THIS DEVICE to always permit data

Problem solved... without vendor lock.
This doesn't lock out 3rd party chargers. This isn't MFi. It's C-AUTH.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona

Come on! These are expensive £1000 phones why the heck would you buy a cheap charger for such a beautiful device? Never economise on anything in life.
Cheap is cheap for one reason only!
[doublepost=1532355430][/doublepost]
This is fine with me...as long as Apple's existing USB-C chargers are already compliant. This will be extremely stupid if the 29w charger I have for fast charging my iPad won't work for fast charging on a new iPhone. It is already incredibly stupid how much I have to swap around cables between lighting/USB-C for my latest Apple hardware.

I guess such first world problems! I bet it takes all of 5 seconds to do so! Maybe humans have it all too easy these days?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.