Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GMLP

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Down Under
For some stupid reasons this post keeps getting auto removed on Reddit, so I am seeking opinions here instead.

After 2 days with the new 12.9” Pro, I found my 25W Samsung USB-C to USB-C fast charger DID NOT WORK on this device. Previously it worked just fine with my 2018 11” Pro, minus a bit of heat during charging (understandable). I have verified that it wasn't due to faulty cables or adapter as it charged up my Note20U just fine. Tested using all Samsung, Apple and 3rd party USB-C cables I have lying around. Best cable I have is rated up to 100W Power Delivery.

Tested another AC adapter (taken from a Netgear mobile hotspot device) with max 16W power output using USB-A to USB-C cable. It charged up the 12.9” Pro just fine, but very slowly. Again, understandable.

So finally took Apple original 20W charger out of the box (wanted to keep it sealed in box for resell value). Of course it worked flawlessly, with any USB-C cables I threw at it.

I am wondering if Apple has begun limiting power input during charges to prevent heating up the battery now, or they just dislike Samsung accessories lol (doesn't explain why the Netgear charger worked). Have never owned a larger iPad before so would be interested in hearing from owners of previous gen, or if you have a USB-C PD adapter that is rated above Apple’s 20W and it works with your 12.9” Pro.

Thanks all.

Reactions: Wackery

obargy

macrumors regular
May 6, 2016
🇨🇦
I’m using a 96W Apple charger (from my 16-inch MacBook Pro) for my new 12.9-inch iPad Pro and it works great. So the power is not a issue I think. Apple explained this in a new support document. Here is the link: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209186#charge

I don’t think Apple is intentionally making Samsung charger not working. Maybe it’s related to a different tech of fast charging on Samsung’s side? I know they usually implement some more aggressive specs for fast charging.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
It is probably done to protect overheating. With how much the new iPad cost, I would stick with using the Apple charger. That way, if anything happens, Apple can't say the damage is due to using brand x charger etc. and give a fuss about warranty repair. I am not saying they would do that mind you but, always protect yourself.

Reactions: obargy

GMLP

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Down Under
I’m using a 96W Apple charger (from my 16-inch MacBook Pro) for my new 12.9-inch iPad Pro and it works great. So the power is not a issue I think. Apple explained this in a new support document. Here is the link: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209186#charge

I don’t think Apple is intentionally making Samsung charger not working. Maybe it’s related to a different tech of fast charging on Samsung’s side? I know they usually implement some more aggressive specs for fast charging.
I don't know whether this is is isolated to just the 12.9" M1 Pro (with potentially new charging tech). My 2018 11-inch worked totally fine with Samsung charger.

• Wow
Reactions: obargy

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
RAVPower 65W charger. Charges the iPad Pro at 30W max.

Note, Samsung only does 9V max. To get 30W, you need 15V/2A.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

GMLP

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Down Under
RAVPower 65W charger. Charges the iPad Pro at 30W max.

Note, Samsung only does 9V max. To get 30W, you need 15V/2A.
Apple's own 20W charger in the box is also rated at 9V max. Like I said, no trouble using SS charger on the 2018 11" Pro.

Inclined to believe it's either the bigger battery in 12.9', newer 2021 tech, or both, led to incompatibility.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Apple's own 20W charger in the box is also rated at 9V max. Like I said, no trouble using SS charger on the 2018 11" Pro.

Inclined to believe it's either the bigger battery in 12.9', newer 2021 tech, or both, led to incompatibility.

9V is limited to 2A or thereabouts though. To get faster charging, you need 15V.

Does it not charge at all with the Samsung charger? I would’ve expected it to negotiate 9V/2A but perhaps the handshake is failing or something.

Reactions: GMLP

GMLP

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Down Under
9V is limited to 2A or thereabouts though. To get faster charging, you need 15V.

Does it not charge at all with the Samsung charger? I would’ve expected it to negotiate 9V/2A but perhaps the handshake is failing or something.
No it does not charge at all with Samsung charger. I'm keeping fingers crossed mine wasn't a faulty unit hence this thread.

I reckon you might be on to something here re. handshake. The iPad when paired with Samsung 25W keeps connecting and disconnecting repeatedly (I can hear it from the sound cue), as if it had trouble identifying the charger. The battery icon turned green for a split second then back to white (discharge) status.

If the power adapter is indeed faulty how come it still fast charges my Galaxy very well? Or does it only apply to Apple as a third party device?

It's a nuisance to have multiple chargers when one will suffice. I do see the reasons why Apple removed the brick from their iPhone 12 lineup.

Might as well get a universal GaN charger off Amazon and put all of these little bricks back in box.

Last edited:

Jimmyyy09

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2021
I tried with a 45W samsung charger and is working. I started charging it at 7:33pm with 33% and got fully charged at around 9:11pm. I am using a iPad pro 12.9 M1

Last edited:

tucogovinda

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2015
In and around the D.
Also curious about this issue as I’m trying to find the best option for my new 12.9-inch M1 iPad Pro.

There is a fairly detailed accounting on how all this works on Daring Fireball from a few months ago: https://daringfireball.net/2020/12/charger_nerdery

I’m wondering if the Apple 30w charger is a worthwhile upgrade over the included 20w charger for the new iPad Pros. Also curious about equivalent/improved 3rd party options.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I've recently been using this 90W 2-port charger in my go-bag

Allows simultaneous full speed charging of most devices (e.g. ThinkPad 60W + iPad 30W, 2x iPad 30W, 2x iPhone 18-20W, etc.)

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

Allows simultaneous full speed charging of most devices (e.g. ThinkPad 60W + iPad 30W, 2x iPad 30W, 2x iPhone 18-20W, etc.)

Good recommendation. I have the 65W version of that charger - works great.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007

RiotMilk

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2020
i've been using the same ravpower 90W linked above and it charges the ipad crazy fast. maybe the ipad needs the specific PD 3.0 GaN Type C protocol which that one has? i had been targeting that because it was also what was required for magsafe fast charging, after getting the iphone 12pro last fall

the5rivers

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2021

Thanks for this recommendation. Almost bought the 45w one but got this one instead to charge two iPads simultaneously.

Reactions: rui no onna

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
i've been using the same ravpower 90W linked above and it charges the ipad crazy fast. maybe the ipad needs the specific PD 3.0 GaN Type C protocol which that one has?
GaN is a type of semiconductor and not a protocol. You don't need a GaN type charger, you just need a charger that supports 30W PD charging via 15V for fastest charging possible. Of course this will generate more heat than the included 20W charger, but shouldn’t be a problem.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
GaN is a type of semiconductor and not a protocol. You don't need a GaN type charger, you just need a charger that supports 30W PD charging via 12V or 15V.

I thought the iPad Pros only supported 9V and 15V?

RiotMilk

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2020
GaN is a type of semiconductor and not a protocol. You don't need a GaN type charger, you just need a charger that supports 30W PD charging via 15V for fastest charging possible. Of course this will generate more heat than the included 20W charger, but shouldn’t be a problem.
The below article is the concept i was referring to, i shouldn't have included the GaN part but it was about the PD 3.0 protocol for magsafe - absolutely made a guess w/r/t the ipad charging capabilities though! I'm sure it doesn't make sense because the 20w ipad charger would be all that was needed for magsafe. overall wattage makes 1000% more sense as limiting factor :)

GMLP

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Down Under
It is definitely a charging tech compatibility issue. Even the new 100W USB-PD charger I just bought did not charge the Galaxy Note20U 'Super Fast' like the original 25W one. Samsung apparently implemented Programmable Power Supply (PPS) standard on their flagship S and Note lines since the S20. It seems to be very picky and won't fully 'fast charge' unless the adapter is rated for PPS also. I don't know what Apple uses.

GaN is a fantastic tech. Makes high wattage adapter smaller and cooler during charge. I finally pulled the trigger on a Choetech 100W GaN. Universal. Cheaper than RAV and Anker. Works on everything. Both Samsung and Apple charges are now back in boxes lol. The iPad charged blazingly fast. If I'm not mistaken you guys said it could pull up to 30W. Very minimal heat.

Last edited:
Reactions: rui no onna

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
GaN is a fantastic tech. Makes high wattage adapter smaller and cooler during charge. I finally pulled the trigger on a Choetech 100W GaN. Universal. Cheaper than RAV and Anker. Works on everything. Both Samsung and Apple charges are now back in boxes lol. The iPad charged blazingly fast. If I'm not mistaken you guys said it could pull up to 30W. Very minimal heat.

Caveat if needing to charge laptops, the Choetech limits both ports to 45W when two devices are connected.

Meanwhile, the RAVPower 90W is a bit more flexible and can do 60W laptop + 30W USB-C iPad.

Reactions: BigMcGuire and GMLP
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.