Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
I've seen one industrial CF card with write-protect switch, but it's only 150x. Isn't there anything faster?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Probably not, write-protect switches aren't used all that much anymore and anything that increases the cost of production is avoided by most manufacturers. Personally, I always put empty cards in my left pocket and used ones in my right pocket and have yet to overwrite a card accidentally.

Paul

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
That's not the problem. The issue is that there are Windows-based kiosks that get infected and distribute malware.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
And what happens if the malware infects your pictures? Are you going to delete them?

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Or the infected machine could just delete all your pictures.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
That's not the problem. The issue is that there are Windows-based kiosks that get infected and distribute malware.

If you're putting the only copy of a card into a kiosk, that's a risk no matter what- what happens if that card reader is bad and it fries your card?

Images aren't executable, so they're not generally going to distribute malware and I doubt that most malware authors would even try to infect anything other than perhaps a JPEG for old JPEG-based overflows- if you shoot raw+JPEG you take that out of the equation. Granted, specifically crafted malware might want to make use of all that space for a payload, but again the logical choice is to stego the JPEG to try to avoid detection.

Paul

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
The idea is to go to the kiosk to make a backup of the card. Of course, the DVD could be infected, but the card won't if it's write protected.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
It seems I would have to get some kind of portable storage device.

But which complies with all the following:

- replaceable battery
- upgradeable hard disk
- fast transfer
- external drive support
- reliable
- GOOD TECH SUPPORT

- It would also be great if the external drives could be formatted in other than FAT32.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
It seems I would have to get some kind of portable storage device.

But which complies with all the following:

- replaceable battery
- upgradeable hard disk
- fast transfer
- external drive support
- reliable
- GOOD TECH SUPPORT

- It would also be great if the external drives could be formatted in other than FAT32.

I have used a Hyperdrive HD80 for years and never had any problems. It copies ~1 gig/min, more than 40 gigs/4 AA batteries (rated for 80 gigs, but never tried it), standard laptop drive inside, never needed tech support but they had great customer service during purchase. It is foolproof to use, drop in the card, turn it on, press a button and it copies, when you see a smiley face, turn it off and pull the card. The HD80 never edits the contents of the card, you have to erase using your camera. If you are shooting important shots, buy a pair and copy all of the cards twice before erasing.

Using it yesterday with images from a 5DII on 8 gig cards, it was copying slower (~600 MB/min) but didn't have any problems with anything that the cameras could throw at it.

I am pretty sure it's FAT32, but why would I want anything different?

Alternatively, cards are pretty cheap now, depending on how many gigs of pictures you are shooting, it may be cheaper and easier to just buy enough cards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.