Fast download time, but slow upload time; what's up?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by norcalstadium, Feb 1, 2008.

1. norcalstadium macrumors member

so i just did one of those tests at www.speedtest.net with my 2.4 GHz macbook pro, and while my download time is fast, my upload time is a tenth as fast as my download time.
    so, what's causing this huge discrepancy?

Attached Files:

2. smogsy macrumors 6502a

speedtest are never correct,

you may have bad wifi connection (try try change channels etc)

or you may have a internal wiring issue if your from england) try using your master socket ur test socket which is under the screws of the master socket

3. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I find the Speedtest.net results to generally be quite in line with the specs of my service (100MB/s fiber) with servers in country here:

[​IMG]

I think the u/l speed of the OP is definitely indicative of some problems.

4. smogsy macrumors 6502a

best way to test true speed is download ubuntu as they have best servers to indicate real world speed.

speedtest servers are normally under throttled.

5. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

Good god, that makes my 8 meg look a bit sick...........

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

OK OK no need to brag :) heres mine. my upload speed is just faster than my download speed haha.

[​IMG]

i have a 1.5MB/s connection but its been shaped to dialup speed as ive gone over the monthly limit. do you have data limits it USA or Japan?

to the OP has your IP shaped your uploads for any reason? are they known to do this?

7. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

LOL! I was afraid it might appear as if I was doing just that but honestly I was only defending the reliability of the Speedtest. :p

I'm American but have been living in Japan for the past 14 years so I don't know what the situation is there anymore. I know they are not SUPPOSED to be packet-shaping in the USA but have heard it occurs in Canada. Here in Japan there are no bandwidth limits nor packet-shaping. I pay about $60 (US) total per month for digital fiber optic 100MB/s up and down. Obviously the up speed is not quite as advertised.

I feel your pain, Rich. My sister-in-law is married to an Aussie and lives in Cairns. I'm well aware of the pathetic and expensive state of the Internet down under.

I'd trade the great broadband service in a second to live in Australia though. :)

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

:eek: I'm moving to Japan

9. trule macrumors 6502

Check your connection, my ADSL and CABLE connections offer faster download speeds than upload. Could even be by a factor of 10 now that I think about it.

10. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Japan is light years ahead in terms of Internet connectivity compared to the entire world :)