Fast(er) way to delete mail?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bawstun, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

Am I missing a way to delete mail that seems more intuitive than what we currently have? I've read through the tricks and tips thread but if it's there I must have missed it. So far I haven't seen anything in iOS4 that makes it any easier than it was in the past.

For instance, Facebook emails. I can't turn them off because I'm OCD about status updates and I want to see all comments, and receive mail in case someone deletes one they have posted. Plus, it's easier to read emails than to go into the Facebook app and look at every status and notification that I've commented on.

Anyway, when I'm done reading them, sometimes I have upwards of 50+ emails and the only way I can find to delete them from the mail app is to tap every single email one by one, which is tedious and annoying.

Is this really the only way to mass delete emails? I think the least Apple could do is make it like the photos app where you tap one photo, and if you just drag your finger along the photos it selects them as you drag.

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Have you tried the Edit button to mass delete?

3. gtmac macrumors 6502a

FTW - hit edit then select those you want to delete and press delete. Works for mass moves too.

4. Bawstun thread starter macrumors 65816

Bawstun

Well yes, but you still tap edit and then you have to select each email individually, right? Or am I missing something?

I think the very LEAST that should be implemented is like the default photos app where you essentially click edit, select a photo, and while holding your finger down you can multi-select just by where you drag your finger.

It takes way too long to click edit > and then tap each damn email 50 or 75 times to delete. It seems rather archaic!

5. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

Good job copying what the guy above you said.

6. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

If I am not mistaken, you just swipe your finger across the email you want to delete, a delete button pops up and you can delete it. seems faster than selecting it and deleting it.

WW

7. samcraig macrumors P6

I've been stating this as an OS flaw for 2 years now. I wish there was some way to do as you described or to selected a range via double tapping or "something" where you click the first and last message and it deletes everything in between.

8. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

You should try it. That's much slower when you have a long list. The best way is to select edit and select each one for delete. Actually just setting the phone to only show 50 or so messages usually means you don't have to delete from the phone at all. My pc is set to delete from the server as needed so the problem is really solved that way.

9. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Well, that's the way it is for now unfortunately :mad:
    Not sure if your phone is JB'd or not but there are apps that would probably allow you to mass delete. I know there are ones that will enable you to mark all emails as read so I'm guessing a mass delete app should be around as well.

10. gtmac macrumors 6502a

Good job being a typical forum jerk. People like you get so old.