Fast PCI-e SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MCAsan, Jul 24, 2014.

1. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Got my new late 2013 rMBP today. The BlackMagic Speed test said disk I/O was around 900+ write and over 800 read. That is twice as fast as on the SATA based SSD in my previous rMBP. I did not know the improvement was that large. That is almost like going from SATA HD to SATA SSD. ;)

2. orestes1984, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014

orestes1984 macrumors 65816

Because it's on the PCI-E bus it can afford to be that fast, you're basically cutting the SATA bus out entirely and going direct to the CPU. It's the equivalent of the throughput of an external thunderbolt drive, with a drive in it that is designed to run that fast ;) Yes I'm jealous. My SATA3 SSD runs at around 250mb/s write times.

3. bennynova macrumors member

my HDD was 27/35 for read/write speed (although i think it was acting up as well)

my new SATA SSD is 500/500 read/write speed

what kind of SSD do you have that it's only 250?? a 128GB one?

4. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Very impressive! Mine only hits about 350 write and 600 read but it's a base model so your 1TB will be much faster than my 128.

5. orestes1984, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014

I've just done some basic benchmarking with Nova Bench... I have a Crucial MX100 256GB. I just did a disk speed test and it hits about the same 350 writes and 560 reads. It has the cheaper MLC NAND chips so it's probably not as fast as some, but it's plenty fast enough.

6. MCAsan thread starter macrumors 601

MCAsan

here is the test results

Attached Files:

7. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Impressive... at this speed bump rate, we'll have flash drives reading/writing at RAM speeds soon. 40Gbps seems feasible in a couple of years. Of course, slow DDR3 RAM operates in the 80-100Gbps range, but running half as fast would be impressive anyway.

8. MCAsan thread starter macrumors 601

MCAsan

I wonder when we will see DD4, USB3.1...etc. Maybe in 2015?

9. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Seeing your m43 avatar, I wonder when we'll see affordable full-frame mirrorless cameras... just waiting for them to bring my Canon FD lenses back to the road.

10. MCAsan thread starter macrumors 601

MCAsan

Personally I already shoot a FF digital mirrorless. ;) M43 is simply not based on 35mm. It is not a crop version of 35mm by any means. It is its own ecosystem. The bodies uses different sensor sizes and shapes compared to 35mm. This is in part what makes M43 equipment smaller, lighter, and less expensive compared to 35 FF or crop bodies and lenses.

Evidently trying to reuse Canon lenses with M43 is problematic. There are adapters that will let you connect them but you will not get aperture control via the body...etc. When we went M43 we sold off all our Canon bodies and lenses. We have not regretted it. We can carry our kits plus a 15" rMBP in a Tenba messenger bags. With 35mm systems we were dragging around 50 pound rolling bags. Those were great fun getting in and out of airplane overhead bins. :eek:

Wishing you well with your photography!

11. orestes1984, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014

Using EF lenses on Micro Four Thirds is basically impossible without jamming the aperture wide open, and in some cases using separate aperture blades so I wouldn't even consider it. To use full frame lenses on Micro Four Thirds cameras you need to really have a fully manual lens.

While there is a work around for EF lenses to operate automatically, it's a bit like operating auto focus lenses on an FD camera, in that it requires a secondary button to be pressed to focus it, and from what I gather that contraption is only really used in film not photography.

"Affordable" full frame mirrorless is here thanks to Sony and the A7 it just depends however. The A7 and A7R are certainly not speed demons, but then it depends on exactly what type of photography you do. I wouldn't expect to capture any live action with a Sony A7 camera.

Micro Four Thirds in itself is not a crop factor, its crop factor camera is the blackmagic range of cinema cameras which crop the Micro Four Thirds frame to a standard super 16 film frame size. Micro Four Thirds lenses use the full image frame when viewed through a lens like Full Frame does. While you can work out the multiplier it is in itself its own standard and not a crop of Full Frame like APS-C.