Fast Switch and Applications

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SCNovice, Jan 20, 2008.

1. SCNovice macrumors newbie

As a new Mac user I am trying to learn how (if) I get my applications (such as Office) to appear on all user accounts - in the dashboard would be great - but anything to allow my kids access to Word and such without logging into my account would be great.

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

You can set up a second account with Parental Controls on it that allow certain things and disallow other things.

Go into System Preferences and choose Parental Controls, enter a username and password and follow the instructions. You'll need to create a new user account and go from there. It's very customisable.

3. janitorC7 macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

you can set up multiple accounts in System Prefrences under Accounts. You can then also set limits on those accounts, including restriction access to certain things, they will not be able to see things in your home folders, so its basically like them having their own computers.

JC7

4. SCNovice thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand how to setup different user accounts - pretty simple. What I need to know is how to allow those accounts to use the Office and other programs I have installed on my account.
    Office installed shortcuts (i guess they're widgets) on my dashboard to enable quick access to the applications - can I get those same shortcuts to appear on other user accounts as well or do I have to install Office under each user?

5. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

If you installed Office in the /Macintosh HD/Applications folder, any user account can use it (baring parental control restrictions). Just browse to that folder in the other user, launch the applications, and Office will install user-specific features for that new user as well.

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I think you are referring to the Dock, right? The strip of shortcut icons on the bottom of your screen?

All you have to do to add Applications to the dock is to drag them there from the Applications folder. Or, when the application is running, right click on the dock icon and select "Keep in Dock"

All applications installed in the /Applications folder are available to all users unless disabled by parental controls.

7. janitorC7 macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

oh, if your talking about the dock then yes i have an answer for you....

well the only way to do that would be to create their accounts, then log into them. go into the Macintosh HD-> Applications and locate microsoft office (and other programs) open the folder, and then drag the icons for each of the applications onto the dock, and then they will stay there....

Repeat for all of the accounts...

JC7