Fast switching between iTunes Library?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mighti, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Mighti macrumors newbie

Hi there :)

i ordered a Macbook Pro with the 128GB SSD Option.

Now, i've tried to delete everything from my current Macbook that i don't need, but a huge chunk is - of course - my iTunes Library (i'll be using time machine + migration assistant to set up my new machine).

I've considered putting an "everything library" on my time capsule, thus being able to access all my music when at home. Additionally, i'd put my favorite music on a "favorite library" on my Macbook Pro.

Of course, using this method i'd have to alt+click the iTunes application each time i'd like to access one or the other library. I don't want to seem whiney...but it just feels messy using this method.

I'd like to pick your brains about this - finding a viable option could be a help for others, too.

I'm not skilled with apple script or anything like that, ... but i'd be great if could click one ... button (?) and iTunes knew i wanted my "everything library" because i'm at home or my "favorite library" because i'm on the go.
    Maybe being or not being connected to the specific network (with the time capsule in it) could trigger using one or the other library?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, for i am quite helpless...

Thanks a lot in advance!

2. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

you might like the features of PowerTunes. another option would be iTunes Library Manager.

a work of caution: i would not store my precious media files on a TC. you cannot use time machine to backup what's stored there. also, when the TC croaks, it will not be easy to retrieve the data from its internal HD.

instead, consider keeping your "everything library" on an USB drive that you connect to the TC's USB port - same effect but you could occasionally plug that USB drive directly to your Mac and back it up to yet another USB drive (using Carbon Copy Cloner, for instance).