Fast Switching user account question...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by blackfx35, Jan 22, 2009.

1. blackfx35 macrumors member

When I use the fast switching users function, do the programs that I have running with one user profile remain running as I change to another user profile? If I am running handbrake and switch users, will that mess handbrake up? Or will it be fine when I switch back to the original user account? Thanks.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

3. madog macrumors 65816

madog

We used to make good use of our display machines for handbrake-ing. We would run it on the admin account on five machines and switch to the demo account and they would go through just fine most of the time. I would suppose those were normal handbrake problems and not because we were switching users though as a second rip would turn out fine.

4. blackfx35 thread starter macrumors member

Is there a way to disable the need to input a password everytime I change user accounts?

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Only by removing the password from the account altogether, which (depending on your use) I wouldn't recommend.

6. blackfx35 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, its just my wife and I who use the computer, so we aren't concerned about having passwords. Having said that, perhaps there is something I am not thinking of....

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It also means that anybody else can access your computer and gain root access, including via file sharing if you have that enabled.