Fast Track Pro and Leopard = pain

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by aygwm, Jul 28, 2008.

1. aygwm macrumors member

I have a three month old MacPro, trying to use an M-Audio FastTrackPro. The issue is that I get this very loud digital sound that occurs randomly and always at start up. The entire room vibrates like it's about to explode. The only fix that stops my speakers from blowing is pulling out the USB connection, or sometimes, yanking all the inputs and outputs. M-Audio claims the device works up to 10.5.3, but I've tried 10.5.1, 10.5.2, 10.5.3 and 10.5.4 and the result is the same. I've swapped out all cables, nothing seems to work. M-Audio's support has been lame at best.
    Assuming this product and drivers do work with the various Leopard versions (has anyone else had luck or problems?), is it possible for the problem to be related to the USB inputs on my Mac? (I've tried all the inputs and it's the same.) Is there some setting, some other trick I should try? Is there anyway to tell if the Mac is having issues?
    I've got the latest driver. For the love of god, please help.

2. aygwm thread starter macrumors member

3. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

Use the search function. There is a thread still viewable from the main Audio forum about this vary thing.

You can't just say "latest driver" as that is relative from when you looked/downloaded, and when we read it. 6 months from now if someone happens on this thread, it will mean nothing to them without specifics. The current "latest driver" is 1.8.4.3. I'm downloading now and trying to see if it makes my Firewire Solo usable again, as it has been broken in Leopard since upgrading from Tiger.

4. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

Here is the post:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=292746

I'm sorry you went out and bought the 410. The point of of my post (though not vary clear) and of the thread I just linked to, is that M-Audio has for about 9 months been totally worthless in their drivers. Both for Tiger (10.4.11), Leopard (10.5-5.4) and Windows (XP and Vista). Many of us can't use any m-audio firewire gear, and if you head on over to m-audio's firewire series forum, you will see many other people having the same problem.

M-Audo wants everyone to do complete OS reinstalls and even in many cases, buy new firewire cards, when previously their existing cards worked perfectly. They screwed something up in all their software, and instead of admitting it and fixing it, they want their users to spend hours redoing their own systems (which many have done, to no avail), or through more money at it by buying new Texas Instruments cards. Seems criminal.

If you are still within the return period, I would return the 410 and go with Mutu (excellent mac drivers), apogee (a bit more expensive, but still great drivers) or presanus.

5. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

sounds like your volume controls are set to high....or signal is getting pushed around when it shoudlnt be. turn your speakers on LAST.

you using m-powered pro tools?

6. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

i have fast track pro and use it on windows xp....

had major probs at first....crashing.......

m-audio said try every port, uninstall etc..........

i then turned off hyper threading....and now it works fine.......with pro tools demo...........

i plan on using the fast track pro on my new macbook too...........