Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the flash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
hi, i've decided to buy a tool to record my guitarplaying. After some searching on this forum and google, I'm still doubting between the well known fast track usb and the mobile pre usb, both from m-audio.
Now the money difference isn't the biggest issue, I understand that recording through a mic is pretty ****** on the fast track but since I'm mainly interested in laying down guitar rifs that's okay. The main thing is, from the specs i understand you can connect two guitars at once on the mobile pre usb. Do I understand that correct? cause recording with two guitars at the same time would be a great plus since the fast track is limited to only one guitar input. Now the only reason for still doubting is that the fast track has 24 bit sound compared to 16 bit for the mobile pre. Is this an important difference? Cause better quality is still more important then recording with two guitars at the same time. What would you guys recommend ?

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackUSB-main.html

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MobilePreUSB-main.html

the flash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
allrighty, first post ever and already a spelling mistake in the title. I don't seem to be able to edit it but it should be mobile pre instead of mibile of course :)

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
you should definitely record 24 bit. it allows you to hit your levels way lower (shoot for -18) and not have to worry about noise floor.

but from what i understand, the fasttrack doesn't have phantom power. you don't mention what mic you have, but condenser mics won't work w/ the fasttrack unless you have external power.

maybe find a third choice, that offers two channels of simultaneous recording (is that important, btw? will you really be tracking 2 guitars at once? or is this for mic'ing and DI the same guitar?), phantom power, and 24-bit recording.

and choose your software first, if you haven't already. that should dictate your hardware choice, not the other way 'round.

the flash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
THanks, I'm now pretty sure I'll go for the fast track pro or usb. Now , as you mentioned, a condensed mic won't work with usb unless external power. Now, the thing is that recording vocals more professionaly ( not dynamic that is) will be something for the not so distant future. So what will it cost me extra to but external power when I finally want to use a condensed mic? ( condsidering I but the usb and not the pro).
thanks-

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
most condenser mic's you'll buy will expect something else to provide phantom power. i think i've seen some standalone phantom devices at FullCompass, but if you're considering a condenser mic, i think you should get an interface now that throws phantom.

dunno about "professionalism" of condenser mics, as the cheap ones usually sound, well, cheap. but the good ones can be pretty darn cool if used right.

in the right circumstance, a nice dynamic mic, like the shure sm7, can be just the thing. heck, i cut an awesome vocal with an sm57 not too long ago.

isethx

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2008
I'm actually looking into the same thing just 3 years later. Unless the website and products have been updated both devices seem to have phantom power.

would this be correct? can anyone else update me on which would be better?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.